Saturday 25 February 2023

Did Someone Mention Two Tins of Salmon ...

 

As I ended my last post with 'Now what did I do with two tins of salmon mixed with red onion and mayonnaise ...?'  It seems only fair that I quickly show you.

As you saw last time I added a spoonful to the pasta dish that I made whilst I was prepping the salmon, then I made sandwiches to take to Mum's for our lunch.  Two rounds of bread each with just the salmon on it, spread very thinly for Mum as that is the way she likes it and a bit thicker for me and Alan, Mum supplied some lentil crisps to go with the butties.

The next day I made the buns you see in the top photo for our lunch.  


For my tea I decided to use a bit more of the salmon, yes it was getting very fishy!!


A third of my tub of mash, a good helping of the salmon mix and lots of pepper and I had four little fishcakes.  I decided against making any breadcrumbs and instead just dredged them in flour.


A nice simple tea on a bed of iceberg lettuce and drizzled with mayo.


The next night it was a bowl of pasta, this time without any tomato based sauce but with lots of peas.


And then the next day it was a simple lunch of the rest of the mashed potatoes and the last of the salmon mix.  Oh I do love a plate of mashed potatoes with lots of butter.

So, two tins of salmon, a huge dollop of mayonnaise and half a finely diced red onion and I got five different meals.  One of them serving three people, one serving two people and the rest just for me.

What would you have done with two tins of salmon?


Now for a little bit of Weekend Watching.


First Frugal Daddy diving in the dumpster and rescuing food just before the refuse collectors come and take it all to landfill.



How sad would it have been for all those chickens to have lost their lives only for their breast meat to go to landfill.  It's shocking and horrifying in equal measures.  Well rescued Frugal Daddy.

Now step away if you have any sort of cat phobia!!



This is just hilarious. 😄


Have a great weekend everyone.


Sue xx





25 comments:

  1. I would give both of my tins of salmon to you, because I don't eat it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so funny, Jayne: I'm not a fish fan, so I was trying to think how to phrase an answer!

      Delete
    2. Haha ... thank you very much Jayne, I didn't either until recently. :-)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the early morning laugh, the video is all the funnier because it's so true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is isn't it. Ginger is the boss in our house. :-)

      Delete
  3. I love Bohemian Catsody!
    I'd open the salmon, pop it in a tub and leave it out for the foxes and cats. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good isn't it. The foxes and cats would love you forever. xx

      Delete
  4. I’d give the salmon to my daughter who loves it in pasta or a sandwich. Thanks for sharing what you did with yours. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't eat any type of fish, but I'm always so impressed at how efficient you are with your food! I enjoy your creativity and resourcefulness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't eat much fish usually, but I think salmon is my favourite.

      Delete
  6. You're very creative. I'd take the tins to work and give them to a colleague who, if it's food, will eat it. Neither my cat nor I like salmon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough my cat doesn't like salmon either, he's a tuna guy through and through. The dogs are not as fussy though. :-)

      Delete
  7. You were very creative with the salmon, I have often made tinned salmon sandwiches and sometimes included it in a budget friendly fish pie but your ideas beat mine hands down.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A fish pie is a really good idea. I suppose my salmon and mash is almost a deconstructed fish pie and that was very tasty.

      Delete
  8. Love the Catsody. Thank you so much for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good laugh isn't it, I was fascinated by the 'backing singers' little mouths. :-)

      Delete
  9. That video is so accurate; I've emailed it to my son in Turkey. As he has 8 - 10 cats (it varies depending on who's gone walkabout) I'm sure he'll appreciate it. I haven't bought tinned salmon since fresh fillets of salmon became a regular part of my food deliveries. Along with salad potatoes, salad leaves, sweetcorn, cherry tomatoes etc. they make a tasty dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been eating more tinned salmon as that is actually better for you if you have osteoporosis and is higher in omega 3's than fresh salmon, although I do love both.

      Delete
  10. Probably make salmon patties, from one tin and as I usually get more then we can eat, the remainder made into sandwich spread. Probably a couple of lunches for the two of us from that. The second can would be made into a casserole. Another two meals each and the remainder would be frozen to be eaten at another time.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good use of the two tins Jackie. It really can go a long way can't it. :-)

      Delete
  11. I don’t like tinned salmon I find it too bony. Fresh for me, but yet I love tinned tuna!! That dumpster hall was awesome. We don’t really have that problem in Japan. As we don’t have a lot of room to store things so we go every 2 days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just very carefully mash it all up to smithereens, as my Mum ... who is the main reason I started buying it ... needs the calcium which is found mostly in the bones, and she hates bones and skin.

      Frugal Mommy and Daddy really do save a LOT of food from going to landfill don't they. And I love that they share with their neighbours and donate to local shelters and kitchens.

      Delete
  12. Salmon, whether fresh or canned, is my absolute favourite fish. I love canned salmon mashed with a squirt of mayo and lemon juice, with plenty of black pepper, in a sandwich. Or stirred through pasta. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love it with mayo and black pepper, I'm not so keen on lemon juice, but I used to eat it with vinegar when I was little and my Nana prepared it that way. With pasta it is delicious isn't it. :-)

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.