Thursday 16 February 2023

Flowers, Overly Sweet and Mavis on The Chase

 


My Valentines 'flowers' off Alan and my card.

He's doing that man-thing and whilst he's now remembering that I like greenery and dislike some flowers, he's not remembering that I absolutely adore nice simple flowers, all of one kind that sit happily in my little cream coloured jug.  So this is what he paid a lot of money for, when I would have just loved the £2.29 little bunches of simple flowers in Aldi.  

He can't help it ... he's a man!!


The Afternoon Tea that he paid for for us both for Valentines Day was nice.  

There was so much on the three tiered plate stand that we both needed doggy-bags to bring the leftovers home, and everyone else that left their tables went out of the restaurant clutching doggy bags too.   I had my flapjack for breakfast yesterday and the slice of chocolate cake for supper last night, and then this morning I decided to have the last thing which was the lemon tart ... with a dash of my squirty cream of course.  😁

I actually think that this will be the last afternoon tea that I will have.  There were just too many sweet things, and we both agreed as we drove home feeling very podged and over-sugared, that we are more savoury people now.  There were literally four tiny sandwiches on each stand, of which I couldn't eat two as Alan had forgotten to let them know that I am allergic to avocados, and then everything else was cake, tart, mousse or scones and jam.

A little vegan sausage roll or quiche would have made all the difference.

Anyway now I'm just sounding picky, so I'll shut up!!


Is anybody else in the UK noticing that the sponsors of The Chase seem to have Mavis on the quiz team.  😀

It makes me smile every night.


Sue xx



16 comments:

  1. We have the same problem. 4 finger sandwiches, 8 little cakes:) Why don’t they offer a savoury afternoon tea with just 1 or2 tartlets?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We both thought that a bottom layer of sandwiches, a middle one of sausage roll, quiche or other pastry item and a top one of scone and cake would be so much better.

      Delete
  2. A savoury afternoon tea would be a great idea! On occasion I've had a savoury 'cream' tea - cheese scone instead of fruit one, with a slice of Cheddar or cream cheese and pickle. Meals in cafes or restaurants always seem to serve too much food....well, for me anyway, husband generally manages to eat all of his!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A savoury afternoon tea is definintely the way forwards isn't it.
      I usually have a zip-lock bag in my handbag that I am not afraid of putting leftovers into when I go out. I started doing this after reading Sarah Wilson's book 'Simplicious'. She actually goes up to other people's tables if they are leaving things behind and asks if she can have them and carries Tupperware with her at all times.

      Delete
  3. You need to watch Jeanne Robertson on you tube....she’s very funny and calls her husband LB( left brain).... I will warn you that she has a strong American southern accent that may take a bit to get used to! But she could sympathize with you about the flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, there's nothing wrong with a strong American southern accent, I follow quite a few YouTubers from that neck of the woods. Her comedy is very good isn't it. :-)

      Delete
  4. The flower thing - I totally get it and I bet there are a few of us who experience this with our 'left brained '
    other halves! So strange the way our food preferences change as we get older, I like sweet things but can't tolerate large portions of cakes or puddings these days
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, for me a nice little sliver of cake and a black coffee is enough for a dessert..

      Delete
  5. Book me in for the savoury afternoon tea treat please 😃
    Much more “my cup of tea” (!) than the sweet ones on offer
    Country Cook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do like the savoury and salady bits of an afternoon tea the best. I was horrified at all the lettuce leaves that people were leaving as they went home clutching their cakes in boxes. I wish I was brave enough to have done the rounds and rescued them all ... I suppose I could have said they were for my rabbit ... no, I don't have a rabbit. ;-)

      Delete
  6. Hi my daughter and husband had an alternative afternoon tea in the Lake district https://englishlakes.co.uk/the-wild-boar/restaurants-bars/wild-boar-alternative-afternoon-tea/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That looks really good and yes very alternative. Unfortunately they say can't offer dairy free versions so although Alan would be in his element, it would be no good for me.

      Delete
  7. Well, once again my husband got me nothing for Valentines ,no flowers, no afternoon tea ,he said he thought about it , of course that was no comfort at all I think if he was to now present me with even one flower I would use his backside as a Vase :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ... that did make me laugh, sorry. He needs a kick up the arse for sure ... but take the flower out first. ;-)

      Delete
  8. It has taken nearly 40 years for my DH to finally get that a £1 bunch of daffodils give me so much more pleasure than an overpriced bouquet of hot house flowers. I thought I was the odd one out but I have found since that I am not the only one that enjoys the simple things in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh,. .that means that I am only halfway there to the message sinking in then!!

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.