Wednesday 15 February 2023

So, How Do I Think of a Subject for a Blog Post

So I was asked two questions, the first one 'How do you think of a subject for a blog post?' ... most likely the question came up because my posts are here, there and everywhere, bouncing off the walls with no steady theme.   I bet a lot of you wonder exactly what you are actually going to find when you get over here.

Foody, housey, garden-y, dogs, challenges, decorating ... chickens!!

Well usually something catches my attention the day before and I think 'I could write about that!!'  So the next day I do.  Sometimes I do admit to sitting at my computer and I really do not have a Scooby Do what I am going to say, on those days I go into my photo files and choose a photo ... and away I go.

So the other day in my Facebook Memories I had a wonderful selection of photos that I had shared on Facebook over the years on that particular date.  I though how random and what a good idea for a blog post.   And these photos are the ones.

The top photo shows my three Skyline chickens from back in the day when we lived on our second smallholding in Berkshire, it was from a Facebook entry announcing the death of ... and celebrating the life of ... Enid who was the last of them to die, she is at the front with her sisters Ethel and Dolly behind her.  Their names were picked by readers of my blog who each won a very unusual prize for having their choice of names chosen.  🥚🥚⚘

 

This was another photo that came up in the Memories, and I still feel that it's very true.



And one that I thought you would all love was a memory of Suky in the caravan, refusing to part with her hot water bottles or to get out of bed.  And looking that cosy who can possibly blame her. 💖

So this post was inspired by Facebook Memories and the photos that it threw up.

Other days  it can be day to day life, something I buy, something I see and I bet like all of you who are blogging buddies just something that captures my imagination.  I could never be simply a recipe blogger, or a gardening blogger or a minimalist blogger, I really do feel the need to jump here, there and everywhere between everything that encompasses my life.

So I guess the answer to question number one is, my subjects tend to choose themselves, I just have to be on the ball and notice things  ... and then remember them.

Question number two was 'Do you read other peoples blogs before you write yours or after?'

When I come onto the computer to do a blog post, first I check the previous couple of posts that I have done, reply to comments, answer any questions, check the Spam box, there are nearly always a few comments trapped in there, including some of my own previous replies that initially published and then seem to have migrated, it's all very strange at the moment.  

Next I do whatever blog post I have got on my mind to do ... and only when it is done, checked and set to publish do I go and read what my blogging buddies and other blog writers have written on their blogs.  I always feel that reading other blogs first may influence what I write and I would not want that to be the case at all.

I think the beauty of blogland is that we have all found a way of posting that suits us and we have all chosen what we are going to write about, be that one specific subject or a myriad of different subjects.

I hope you found that interesting, I have no idea what you may find here next .....


Sue xx



20 comments:

  1. Your photo of Suky all snuggled up is adorable and I love your ex-chickens and their names.
    I never struggle with blog content, if I've got nothing to say (highly unusual, as my mates would tell you) I don't post. Reading my friends' blogs is my treat when I've caught up with my comments. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does look super cute there doesn't she. :-)

      I always named my chickens, they have such unique individual personalities. The only three that ever shared a name were the Three Lovelies, identical white birds that always hung around together.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous picture of Suky not wanting to be disturbed from what is clearly a lovely warm & snuggly place. It's the everso-slightly possessive paw over the HWB quietly saying "mine, keep your mitts off"! Reminds me of Daisy not wanting to shift from her heated night-time "den", or under one of her many patchwork quilts!

    Loved your explanation of how/what you write, and I for one am very glad you have so much to say and that you keep on blogging, xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She still loves hot water bottles. :-) Sensible dogs do love a good quilt over them don't they, I remember once sacrificing one of my jumpers to keep Suky warm in her bed on a cold Winters night, I never got it back ... it was HERS. ;-)

      Delete
  3. Very good explanation for your blogging.
    I'm completely different ! - especially when it comes to checking spam as I keep forgetting and finding your comments days late - apologies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've found that I have to check every day, and I try and stay in the rhythm of doing that as there can be none in Spam for a few days and then all of a sudden they are in there every day.

      Delete
  4. I write "randomly" too. Often friends and family will say "there's a blogpost in that" when we see something or go somewhere " I usually write in the afternoon or evening, but set post time to be around 7am. I wake, get a cuppa, then (a) check it's published OK (b) check comments (c) read through my blog list. During the day at odd moments I check on comments and respond, and read other favourite bloggers whose posts appear later. Now I shall go back to my morning tea... Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I write in the late morning or afternoon usually and set the post to publish for 6am the next day. If I'm late usually on a Monday after having a day off I will sit and write and publish straight away on a Monday morning.

      I'm naughty sometimes and when I should be doing my day job I can be found answering blog comments instead. It's a good job I'm the boss!! :-)

      Delete
  5. I love the random nature of so many of the blogs I enjoy. Thank you for always being interesting and entertaining.
    As you know, I almost always just waffle on about my day, going off on a tangent now and again. It's more a sort of diary really. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diary blogs are good too, and make brilliant reading. I tend to write in my actual paper diary and use my blog for things that go with photographs that I want to remember ... although I have been known to print out photos and stick them in my diary too.

      Delete
  6. I love random blogs! That's the same way I post, by writing what's on my mind that day. Often it could be helped along by a photo I've taken or whatever I'm working on at the moment. I much prefer random topics, instead of link-ups and themed parties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like other random blogs, but I really like Challenge blogs, when someone is doing a challenge and documenting it carefully.

      Delete
  7. I love your blog! Nuff said.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  8. One reason I read your blog regularly is that its daily. I've thought about writing one of my own but I know I wouldn't be able to blog regularly - and so readers would understandably fall away.
    Having said that I do follow a nice lady in the US who blogs about four times a year, when you least expect it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try and be as daily as I can, but usually I think ... unless I am doing a challenge that needs the daily input ... I tend to post 5 or 6 times a week.

      Delete
  9. Yes random blogger here too, whatever happens to pop into my head.....right now it's mostly a countdown to my lovely caravan! (Probably bores the pants off everyone else lol). Love that photo of Suky, it's definitely a 'leave me alone, I'm very comfy' pose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if you were 'boring the pants off everyone else' they wouldn't be coming back day after day, so don't worry about that. You have some good blogging buddies. :-)

      Delete
  10. I enjoy your blog precisely because it's random! Never a dull post. I've tried blogging, but I just couldn't think of what to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ... I'm sure you could once you got into a rhythm. :-)

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.