Monday 13 February 2023

Shopping, Pizza Dough and a Question

 


This weekends purchases:  Eggs £2.90 and pizza dough 99p from Aldi.

Alan went shopping and asked me if I wanted anything and as the dogs had worked their way through all my eggs I asked for the eggs.  Later on I had to go out myself and I was tempted by the Pizza Dough.

I'm so easily tempted.

But in my defence I had a plan for all the fridge vegetables yesterday,  and I thought that once I had chopped and cooked everything a nice simple tea with some of the rewards of my labours would be just the ticket for a Sunday evening.  And it really was.

The fridge drawer before I began chopping.


The results of the chopping.


And here is all that is currently left in the vegetable drawer.  I thought it best not to cut up all the onions, so I saved the best of the red ones to be eaten raw or in dishes this week.  I was supposed to save one of the carrots so that I could make some coleslaw with the heart of the lettuce that I have left, but oops I sliced and froze all but two of them.


The spare two were cut in half and put in a tray with oil, cumin and garlic granules to have as a little treat.


They were not pretty to look at after half an hour in the oven ... oh, but they tasted like heaven.  The splodges on the top are one of the squeezed out garlic cloves that I roasted with the other vegetables.

And of course these days it is almost compulsory to fill every gap in the oven if you are putting it on for half an hour, and the carrot tray filled the last gap nicely.  😊


Once cooled the container of vegetables went into the fridge for use all through this week.   They were smelling glorious with seven of the eight roasted garlic cloves squeezed in and stirred through.

I have been setting myself a little side-challenge which I nicknamed Stretching Food to see how much use I can get from various things with just a little extra thought.  Up to now I have done 1 tin of peaches, 2 tins of salmon and this week it is going to be the turn of my roasted vegetables.  

The first meal was using a handful of them on half of the pizza dough to have that nice easy tea that I promised myself.  I have to say that I'm not impressed with the ready made pizza dough, I would have been better using that sheet of ready rolled puff pastry that I bought last week, but I had forgotten all about that.  

 I will use the other half of the pizza dough in a different way I think  

How would you use it?


Sue xx



16 comments:

  1. Why didn't you like it as pizza dough? Would it work if you kneaded it a bit then shaped it into a submarine roll and baked it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seemed to bake hard and the base itself had absolutely no flavour. I can obviously do something about the flavour by adding more toppings and some salt, pepper and herbs to the base, but the hardness was surprising. I will definintely be playing the remaining half to remedy it.

      Delete
  2. I would suggest making little "hot pockets." Divide the dough in a number of portions, make a ball and then flatten, fill with cheese, meat, veggies or whatever filling you would like, then bake until done. You can then wrap individually and freeze them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking along these lines, I thought little 'dough balls' with a surprise filling. Although it wouldn't be much of a surprise as I would be the one filling them. Lol. :-)

      Delete
  3. I think I'd make some calzones - pretty much what Debbie suggests, in fact. Or spread the veg and some cheese over it and roll it up and cut pinwheels. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have been debating calzones or 'dough balls'.
      Now, the pinwheel idea is genius, I have seen this before but never done it ... perhaps now is the time.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the warning about the pizza dough-I have been tempted by it in the past. I’d probably use it as garlic bread so that the olive oil would add some flavour. (I use oil and garlic not butter) Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another good suggestion, I would have to remember to very lightly cook it so as not to let it get too hard again. But it is a good idea ... and I LOVE garlic bread. :-)

      Delete
  5. Well how about something sweet? Banana. walnuts and honey, something along those lines. Never made anything like that myself but it might work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't even considered anything sweet, good suggestion. :-)

      Delete
  6. I agree with the filled pizza dough buns, brushed with oil and herbs they should taste lovely.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, you've just made them sound even MORE delicious!!

      Delete
  7. Rather than use the oven, I cook down a similar mix (ratatouille minus the aubergines) in a Le Creuset pan with a can of chopped tomatoes and seasoning, and use it as a base for soup, topping for pizza or pasta, mixed in with rice etc. You've had some good ideas for the left-over pizza base - an oomph of garlic oil sound a good way forward or the pinwheels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually do the roasted veg in the Remoska but this batch filled my two biggest oven trays so the oven it had to be, I added the carrots to fill the last remaining gap. There are some brilliant ideas for using up the left over base aren't there, I might use some of them for that roll of puff pastry I've got. :-)

      Delete
  8. Those roasted veg look delicious, I could eat them right now!
    I'd drizzle on some extra virgin olive oil and chuck on a liberal sprinkling of sesame seeds and sea salt and make a Cretan dakos salad with that pizza dough. https://www.lazycatkitchen.com/dakos-salad/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh I followed the link and that looks so tasty.
      I never think to sprinkle sesame seeds on things, I really should. I am literally going to get my jar out of the cupboard now to remind me and make an effort to use them more.

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.