Wednesday 22 February 2023

The Final Food Stash ... My Tuesday in Pictures

 


Yesterday I spotted little cobwebs at the base of this set of drawers on the edge of my kitchen, it made me decide straight away that I should sort through this final stash of food.  I sort of knew what was in the drawers but I couldn't remember how long the dates were on them.

So here's what I was up to yesterday in photos, with lots of little breaks and some tasty snacks thrown in while I did it.


First  I emptied the top of the drawers and wiped it down.


Then the drawers came out, and the void they left was hoovered out and spiders re-homed to the great outdoors.


The next stage was to wipe everywhere down and clean the floor, including under the food cupboard next to this little set of drawers.


With the floor wet there was nothing for it but to make myself a cup of coffee, and retire to the living room for twenty minutes of YouTube watching.


I took this bag of Cassava Chips with me, I didn't expect to like them as I really don't like salt and vinegar as a flavour for things.   I was going to pass them onto Alan after tasting them, but I did like them ... so he didn't even know that he so nearly gained a snack. 😁


When the floor was dry and the coffee gone, I came back and went through my sweetie drawer.  Everything is now stacked in date order and the only two things that need immediate consumption are these two items .... it's a hard task I know but I will do my best!!


The other little wooden drawer contains nothing edible, so I sorted through the food bags, wrappers etc, wiped out the drawer and put almost everything back.


The first of the basket drawers contained cracker type snacks, and unbeknown to me two packets of biscuits.  I do like a sort out when it reveals tasty treats that you have forgotten you have.  The empty cassava chips bag is here to show you where it used to live.  

Then I looked in my food cupboard and pulled out the crackers that were in there on the top shelf, and added them to this drawer now that there was more space.


These are the only things that need eating up immediately, all go out of date this month.

Hands up ... I volunteer. 😁


The next basket held these.  They were all just about in date, except for the rice which has next years date on it.


The cashews were decanted into a jar and then everything was packed back into the drawer.

The Naan breads were originally ....


... on top of the pasta in this drawer, and are out of date.

They will be used this week.

The pasta in this drawer all has dates in 2025 on it, so I just put it all back in for now.


This final drawer also holds pasta and some sauces and they are all well in-date, so they just went straight back into the drawer after it had been shaken and wiped out.


And here we are!

I know that it barely looks any different, but now I know that everything is in date order, and is clean and okay for use whenever I need it.  The basket on top which was from the hamper that Alan bought me for Christmas and which I was wondering what to use for, now has a good purpose.  At the start of each week I am going to place in it some of the foods that I really need to use up first, if I can see them I hope I will be more inclined to use them.

I quite enjoyed doing this and it pretty much brings to the end the sorting out of the food, and it's nice to know that I really won't have to do a proper 'big shop' for a long time.


Note:  If anyone has been wondering why I haven't mentioned the sad case of our local lady, who was missing for just over three weeks, it's mostly because there has been so much media speculation and so much said that I just didn't want to add to this.  Also partly because my son works for Lancashire Police and I felt (and still feel) it prudent to keep quiet.  And finally because almost exactly the same thing happened to a member of my family back in the late 70's, only his body wasn't discovered for ten months.  So I know first hand just how hard the not knowing is.  Now at last her family have closure and will hopefully be left in peace to grieve.  

RIP Nicola Bulley 💔



Sue xx





28 comments:

  1. Hi Sue, am trying to ease myself into vegetarianism/veganism slowly (many previous failures), and am amazed at the variety of food available, as shown in your various stash! Your stocks always look appetising and fresh. Have picked up many tips from your blogs over the years - the most recent being the stay fresh bags. Re. the sad case of Nicola Bulley, RIP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good way to ease yourself in, nice and slowly and taking it at your own pace. You have lots of lovely delicious experimentation ahead ... enjoy. :-)

      Delete
  2. Cassava crisps are big in India, I love them. The pure vegetarian ones Indian-imported ones are really cheap in our corner shop, I've not had any for ages, I might have to swing by on the way home from the chazzas later.
    I didn't have any secret snack stashes to sort out yesterday but I dealt with some horrendous cobwebs, they seemed to have popped up overnight.
    I've hated all the speculation regarding the tragic case of Nicola Bulley, it really has brought out the worst in people. I'm so sorry for her friends and family and for what your family went through. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are delicious aren't they, and luckily these weren't too vinegary so I enjoyed them.

      Yep, the spiders are coming to life, luckily it's not too cold to feel guilty at evicting them now. :-)

      Delete
  3. Hello there . I’m wondering why you have so much food in storage ? Is it a recent thing with the rise in prices or do you always stockpile? Thanks. Jill .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't stockpile as such and wouldn't dream of it just for the sake of it, but I am terrible at buying too much when it's on offer and totally forgetting that it's just me I'm catering for, so things tend build up very quickly. It's having a proper sort through like this that makes me realise what I'm doing. Hopefully in future I can shop smaller and with more consideration.

      I will say though that with the current price rises, having all this food already in the house has buffered me nicely, and it's meant I have been able to afford to add to my savings and buy for our local foodbank out of what would have been my usual housekeeping money.

      Delete
  4. Well done on sorting out all your foodstuffs and making sure none was wasted. Thank goodness Nicola Bulley has been found and my heart breaks for those she loved and who loved her. ❤️ Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a tough few weeks for her family and friends, with the media making it ten times harder than it need have been. At least back in the day when my Uncle went missing he was only on the local news and in the local papers ... and there was no speculation and recriminations being batted around, only concern and support. What a difference!!

      Delete
  5. I have to say, I hardly ever have pasta - I'm the Rice Queen instead. I always have pasta in and I bet if I looked carefully, much would be out of date! You are very organized - I have been feeling low and just want to read or play mindless games of solitaire and bubble shooter!

    I am glad that Nicola Bulley has been found - her poor family (and yours, when it happened to you).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have far too much pasta, I'm thinking now that some of it could go to the local foodbank and help someone that needs it right now instead of waiting for a year for me to eat it.

      I tend to play Wordle, Wordly and Woodoku on my phone every day, just the daily challenges and I'm still playing the Solitaire game on my Jacquie Lawson advent calendar most days. I'm also researching the Fast 800 diet at the moment, so that is interesting reading.

      Delete
  6. That's a lovely unit. Is it Cotswold Company? I have one from them in my bedroom that looks a bit similar.
    Al those cashews - I want!!! :-)
    RIP indeed and may her family begin to regain a little peace.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's similar to the Cotswold one, but to be honest I can't remember what the company name was. I know ... cashews are lovely. :-)

      Delete
  7. Your stock is very impressive and satisfying to have.
    I feel so so sad for Nicola's family ,as if their anguish wasn't bad enough to have it added to by the media and certain members of the public is awful and am sorry to hear of your experience in the 70's. My son went missing two weeks ago for just two hours but for him that was dangerous because of his epilepsy ,he was starting a seizure, lost coordination and just walked out of his flat , no phone, his other phone linked to his alarm bracelet was also left behind so we had no choice other than ring the police who were amazing, they brought dogs to the grounds as it was dark and cold ,when he was found he was suffering post seizure effects and had dogs mess on his coat and jeans from where he went down, it was the most horrific two hours so I cannot imagine the torment and devastation the poor family suffered and now dealing with grief ,let's hope they can be left alone to be comforted by family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, I am so sorry to hear that. It must have been terrible for you. The police are brilliant aren't they and I am getting so angry that so many people see them as the enemy and are looking to knock them all the time.
      I'm glad that your son was found safe and well in the end.

      Delete
  8. I think the hamper filled up every week is a great idea! I would have to make an inventory list of what's in the drawers, because I tend to forget things I can't see :) What a great stash you have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I've got the photos on here I can see what I have, hopefully this should help me use everything in the right order.
      Having the hamper basket on full view with the weeks choices every time I pass by will hopefully mean that nothing will get forgotten about.

      Delete
  9. I do similar with things to eat up, but in my case I put them on a tray in the pantry with a red sticker on them so that DH is aware too! One of my favourite past times is having a good sort out - have been doing it at my daughters house today in the linen cupboard whilst we are staying a few days - as a working mum there are only so many jobs she can get done at the weekend and every little helps.
    I was pleased to hear Nicola had been found, but not that she was dead - at least her family can now come to terms with it all - not knowing I think is much worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea, I think even a man can notice a red sticker on things. ;-)

      Yes, it's the not knowing that is the worse thing, once you know you can come to terms with it.

      Delete
  10. Great job on the sort out. I really like the idea of the basket on top for those things that need using up quickly.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had been wondering what I could use it for, and then I had the brainwave!!

      Delete
  11. The Nicola Bulley story was so very sad. I didn't realize that she was local to you. Putting the outdated food in a hamper in your sight line is a good one. I had an organization of my spice cupboard yesterday. The amount of spices that I had multipe jars of was astonishing. I've got to get some sort of organization down for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is the same river that runs through our town, the River Wyre. St Michaels is about 10 minutes away. By strange coincidence my uncle drowned in the River Wey.

      Re-organising spices is a nice little job isn't it, and there are nearly always duplicates.

      Delete
  12. I'm late to this, but yes, R.I.P. Nicola Bulley. So very sad for her and her family
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been really sad, and because we live in the area all our local news and our Facebook groups have been full of it since the day she went missing. Her family and friends have been through hell.

      Delete
  13. A good sort! I do like that cabinet. And so sorry about the poor lady. I had not heard, being in the States, but feel for the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It holds a lot of things for it's size and fits in well with the kitchen. Yes, it's been a sad story and one dragged out and speculated over by the media and online 'armchair detectives' in far too much detail.

      Delete
  14. I feel so sorry for Nicola Bulley's family. They must have been and still are going through hell. At least they can put her to rest now. My aunt (mum's sister) drowned in the river Severn when she was only 23. Their boat overturned by the weir, her husband and 2 friends survived but she was drowned and her body only recovered a few weeks later. It happened before I was born but I know from my mum how it affected the family. I have always had a fear of water so never learned to swim. Rip Nicola.
    You have an amazing stash of goodies, Sue, and its your duty to eat them all up 😁😜👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry to her about your aunt, how tragic and how awful it must have been for the family seeing it happen.
      No, I can't swim either, I used to hate water and now I just feel that it's too late to really bother to learn, although if I even could with my back I don't know.

      I will try and do my duty, although I am having a sort out during Lent and giving some of it away.

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.