Sunday 26 February 2023

Early Morning Canal Side Walk, Breakfast Out and More Spending

 


The dogs and Alan were having a long lie in this morning. 

 Ginger had been over to me for his daily early morning treat of Aldi knock off  'Dreamies' and a cat stick, and then he decided to go back to bed at his Dad's.  It was looking to be a good start to the day with the sun peeking out every so often between the puffy greyish clouds, so I decided to go for a walk on my own.

I did what we call the 'reverse loop', along the road up to the canal bridge and then down the ancient stone steps to the tow path.  Without dogs stopping at every bush, post or unusual thing on the verge to either sniff at or wee on, the walk seemed more peaceful and somehow stiller.

This is the first time I have done this walk without at least one of the dogs by my side, and it's strange but I noticed different things for the first time.


The tree stump with the painted pebbles commemorating someone who had died recently, the fact that the tow path seemed clearer and neater than usual.  The sparrows flitting in and out of the hedge, chunnering at me as I passed.  The stillness of the water and the lovely reflections of the trees and bridges.


As I neared home I noticed the tiny narrowboat called My Newt had sold. 

Well I'm assuming that it has sold, there was a notice in its window the other day saying 'For Sale £14k' and a phone number.  I was briefly tempted but fought the temptation admirably.  😉


Just after I got back home Mavis' face appeared at the window and Alan called round to ask if I wanted to go out for breakfast.  Never one to not to look a free Sunday morning breakfast in the mouth, I of course said yes.  And once Alan had taken the dogs for a brisk walk to use up a little of their excess energy we all set off in his car for Daisy Clough garden centre and tearooms, and breakfast.

It was lovely, and very busy as it always is.  People round here can still afford to eat out it would seem.  I left an hour later clutching the sugar I hadn't used, the napkin Alan hadn't used (waste not want not) and a packet of Courgette seeds that I really needed.  

Another £1.90 spent.


Along with the £27.70 I spent yesterday, in readiness for something that I am starting tomorrow.

My spending challenge has really taken a battering this month, and it's time to add up everything that I have spent now that the end of February is looming.

Oh and I did my first BIG shop yesterday, I need to find my camera and download the photo and add that to my running total.  I'll show you what I bought on the next post.


Sue xx



24 comments:

  1. Ooh, a Fast 800 challenge (i'm guessing!). Good, I can't wait to see what you eat and how you get on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did you guess ;-)

      I can't wait to see what I eat and how I get on either. I reached my all time highest weight the other day, as well as my all time highest blood pressure, so I just knew I had to DO something immediately. Alan did this diet a couple of years ago and lost two stones, which he has kept off, so I am hopeful I can drop at least a stone by my birthday in April.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely way to start your day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very peaceful. I only passed two other people and they both had dogs, so I felt a bit guilty that mine weren't with me, but it was nice to be out and about on my own for once.

      Delete
  3. I have to say, that narrowboat's a cheap home for someone. Friends of eldest daughter lived on one for several years before they bought their cottage. I'm glad you had a peaceful walk without the dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be a very tiny home for even one person to live in full time. It's interior measurements must be around 6ft wide by 16ft long ... I think I might have given it a go though, you know me and tiny spaces. ;-)

      Delete
  4. Your comment on my blog didn't vanish into spam - amazing. I thought your new challenge could be 100 ways with turnips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like them at all so I can only think of two ways with turnips, give them to someone else or slice them finely ... and add them to the compost heap. :-)

      Delete
  5. I shall follow your programme of weight loss very eagerly, I'm trying to do the same at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's that time of year isn't it, after a Winter of stodgy warming foods and baggy jumpers I think a lot of us feel a bit podged and heavier than we should be.

      Delete
  6. My weight continues to come off, slowly but surely. The only changes in our diet was less bread. Simple enough and it works. Good luck with your new challenge! I lost 20 pounds last year and was able to get off two of the meds I had been taking. A nice side bonus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant news. Yes I think it's bread that makes me feel sluggish and adds to my weight, and of course if you eat bread you tend to have butter or spread on it no doubt adding loads of unnecessary calories.

      Delete
  7. Your canal photographs are lovely. I purchased seeds this weekend also when Farmer went to the farm store for other items. Everything as 12% off. :D Later we purchased some sturdy metal shelves for my pantry. It was not a frugal shopping day but I did stay out of the grocery stores and we continue on eating from the pantry and freezers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky that all my other seeds came from my Advent calendar, I just think they got mixed up and I got two packs of Rocket, when one of them should have contained Courgettes, oh well, it's remedied now.

      Not a frugal shopping day for you maybe, but it will help you organise your pantry and help towards the way you can plan things.

      Delete
  8. That is such a beautiful walk!
    I'm really looking forward to your new challenge and am thankful that it's not turnip based!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always relaxing walking near water isn't it, it really makes my day either here or along the river. There will never be a turnip based challenge for me!!

      Delete
  9. What a lovely way to start the day I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on with the diet. I have the books somewhere on my shelf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely relaxing way to start the day for sure. I didn't know if anyone would want to follow me on a diet journey!

      Delete
  10. Beautiful peaceful walk to start the day. I did this challenge seven years ago and lost 3 stone. Some how 2 stones have found their way back.I really must bet a grip and lose the weight again. I could blame Covid lockdwowns but it’s my own fault for eating more than my body needs. Good Luck. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stones are very sneaky aren't they, lying in wait to creep back on ... they should realise that sometimes they are just not wanted. ;-)

      Delete
  11. That was a lovely, peaceful walk and the photos are stunning, just look at the blue sky! I wouldn't have been able to turn down the offer of breakfast either ;o) The tiny narrowboat looks so cute I'm not surprised it sold quickly.
    I'm looking forward to your new challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you've definitely got to agree to a lovely breakfast, especially the day before you start a new diet. ;-)

      Delete
  12. That walk looked so peaceful. Love the small narrow boat.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've loved this tiny boat ever since I first spied it a few years ago. :-)

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.