Tuesday 28 February 2023

The First BIG Shop ... and Shopping Totals for February

 

Well for the first time this year I had to go shopping for things that I had actually completely run out of, and things that I didn't want to do without.  So I just bit the bullet and when Alan said he was going to Aldi I went with him.

I bought a lot of non-food items, but I did buy some foods specifically to start me off with my new diet plan.  I have decided to do the Fast 800 which I started yesterday, right through to my birthday week to see if I can shift the weight that has crept up on me.  There was quite a bit of interest in the comments on the last post, which surprised me, I wasn't really planning to blog about it, but I am more than happy to if it would help anyone else.   Maybe not everyday, but once or twice a week if that suits.

Anyway this Aldi shopping cost me the grand total of £41.76.

Meaning that in February I spent a total of £233.14 ... wow that soon added up!!

January =  £547.55

February = £233.14

TOTAL  £280.79

Leaving me with just £314.41 from my starting figure for the year.

But I'm quite happy with that, after all it includes two haircuts, a car MOT, all the food shopping that I needed and some sundry items like books, birthday cards etc.  and it averages out at less than £35 a week spent.  This is proving to be very good at focusing me more on my day to day spending so it's been really worth doing.

Now I'm going to spend a little bit more time menu planning for the rest of this week.  I have never been a calorie counter so it seems very laborious, but soon I will have a list of all my favourite foods that I can refer to when I menu plan for future weeks, and that should hopefully speed things up no end.


Sue xx



16 comments:

  1. Yes please blog about the diet Sue, I'm really interested. Your spending totals, seeing as they included the other stuff like haircuts, MOT etc, seem very restrained, so well done. I see you got 2 packs of tomatoes!! Hehe - when I did my shopping in Sainsburys yesterday, there were plenty.....admittedly, not quite as much variety, but certainly no actual shortage of tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems in our small town that Aldi is the one struggling the most for salad supplies. I went in Sainsbury's yesterday and they were virtually back to normal, just a few gaps.

      Delete
  2. Good luck with your new eating plan, and yes - it is always really interesting to read what you are doing.

    Food and grocery prices - getting quite ridiculous, I think you're doing terribly well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that this sort of challenge really makes me keep tracks of what I'm buying, it's good to have your buying habits more on your mind for a couple of months .... even if I then usually slip a bit for a while. :-)

      Delete
  3. Calorie counting is rather a faff - that's why I do SW (but mindfully, sensibly and with calorie understanding) - I always enjoy reading about others' journeys so am looking forward to hearing all about it.
    I wonder if it will impact on your food spending at all.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has impacted on my spending a bit at the moment as I have just splurged on some protein shakes to help me get to a good protein level for the first few weeks. Gulp!!

      Delete
  4. I can 100% recommend the Fast 800, I think you'll enjoy it. Once you start studying carb content of various foods, it gets really surprising! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sort of joined in with Alan when he tried it a few years ago and quite liked it. Oh yes I know a lot about carbs ... I successfully did the Atkins diet many years ago, when it first came out and was shocked to learn all about carbs. But I LOVE carbs, hopefully I will be able to be more sensible with them once I have lost the weight that I want to.

      Delete
  5. I too would be interested in hearing your journey with Fast 800. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will chart my progress on here then, for everyone's entertainment and my mortification. ;-)

      Delete
  6. That's a very reasonable amount of money spent so far. I bet 2 haircuts and the MOT made a big dent in £100 of the budget. Very well done 👍
    You have lots of healthy food in your shopping haul too 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was shocked by the total at first, but when I worked out the weekly average I calmed down a bit. :-)
      Yes two haircuts and an MOT = £91

      Delete
  7. Please do blog about your diet. I am really interested.

    You did very well and have not really overspent this year so far.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your wish is my command, I will chat about my diet starting with the next post. :-)

      Delete
  8. Tha looks like quite a good shop for the money. I'm interested in the diet too - I'm needing to shift a stone, was always a size 10, now been a 12 for a few years but rapidly edging towards a 14 which for my height is too much:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's many years since I was a size 12, back when I first met Alan was the last time in fact. It's been the usual tale, when we met he was 3 stone heavier than he is now and I was nearly 3 stone lighter!!

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.