Saturday 11 February 2023

Food, Shelves, Picture, Instagram and YouTube



I'm slowly working my way through cupboard things now as well as the last of the original freezer stash and it feels good that slowly, very slowly, things are actually starting to go down and space is beginning to appear.

It's not a job that I intend to rush though, and the first things that are being used up are the out of date ones, of which this pack of cereal is one.  I decanted it into a jar because that way I can see it glaring at me from the wire shelves over the small drawer unit and it makes me want to work my way through it slightly quicker.

You wouldn't think this entire box of cereal would fit into one Kilner jar would you ... but it did!!


I cut the label off the front of the box so I would remember what the flakes actually were, and then the cardboard went into the recycling bin and the inner wrapper was wiped down and put into the drawer to use as sandwich wrappers or 'easy leave' ... or as I saw on Nancy Birtwistle's Instagram the other day you can use it when you are rolling out pastry.


Now the jar has re-joined the others on the wires shelves and hopefully will be emptied bit by bit over the coming couple of weeks.  Oh, and taking this photo reminded me that a while ago someone asked me about the grey framed picture in my hallway.


Here's a close up just for you.

It's some of the original artwork and notes from Jack Monroe's 'Cooking on a Bootstrap' from when she launched the Kickstarter edition ahead of the later one.  I do have one of her photos (of parsnips) framed somewhere but the glass was cracked in the house move.  I do need to get that sorted!!

Meanwhile here's a tiny bit of Weekend Watching for you all.



First, how's about a bit of Frugal Stu.  

I only discovered him recently when he did a collaboration video with Jane, Frugal Queen in France.  He's just a really down to earth guy sharing his tips and tricks from a single bloke's perspective.  It's nice to hear such a good Northern accent on YouTube, and his channel is already growing from strength to strength.

And for a bit of a laugh.  😃





I hope you're all having a great weekend.



Sue xx



 

18 comments:

  1. I just love that cat video. It makes me laugh everytime I watch it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe there are lots of other films with puss cat as the star too. I need to look them out. :-)

      Delete
  2. I like that wire shelf unit, stylish and makes the best use of wall space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought it a few years ago to go into the kitchen of a house I didn't end up buying. Luckily it fitted in at the flat and fits in even better here, so I'm definintely getting my moneys worth.

      Delete
  3. I too like the wall unit. It is amazing how much excess packaging we have. Smarties in Canada (same as UK) has shrunk their box to the actual needed size. About half the cover of the cardboard box explains this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really useful little shelf set with the hooks at the bottom too, I like the way it sits neatly over my little drawer unit expanding the kitchen along the hallway.
      I do like seeing the packaging shrink on some things now, it should have been done years ago. I know they say that things settle in transit, but a quick shake by a machine at the end of a conveyor belt in the factory and that's the problem solved surely!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the link - I love a good frugal channel! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only found him when he did the collaboration with Jane, I've been watching a few of his older videos too to get his viewing numbers up. I do like the more genuine YouTubers.

      Delete
  5. I found Frugal Stu a while ago - it makes a refreshing change to see normality! He seems like a genuinely nice bloke (I'm also northern, so may be biased!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, us northerners have to stick together. ;-)

      Delete
  6. Love the cat video. Thank you for the laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, there are a few of them I believe. :-)

      Delete
  7. Giggled through the cat video, and I really enjoyed Stu's video as well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The little cat's face really made me laugh ... those wide eyes in some of the scenes, it's so well done. :-)

      Delete
  8. Watched Stu’s video. I thought he did very well. Here in the US I would have paid $42 (33.87 UK)at my local Walmart for what he bought. My nearest Aldi is 20 miles away so the gas would have negated any additional savings. I’m quite shocked at the price difference.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did really well. :-)

      As we have been saying in some of the international Facebook groups, the rising costs in each country are all relative. If you factor in wages, fuel costs, food costs, taxes etc. our costs of living are all rising quite similarly. Someone did a very detailed breakdown that proved the France is actually suffering the most at the moment. But even that seems to vary from week to week. I guess we all just need to keep doing the best we can.

      Yes, you really do have to weigh up fuel costs for the car as to whether it's worth driving to a cheaper supermarket. I think this is one of the reasons so many are now shopping fortnightly or monthly instead of weekly.

      Delete
  9. That cat video has made my morning! How cute is your wire shelf? I think I need one for my sewing bits! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's cute isn't it, seemingly there's a Top Gun version too. I need to look that one out!!

      The shelves would work brilliantly in a craft room for sewing bits and you can get variations with wire cubes etc. I think they are still available on Not on the High Street, I can't remember where I got mine from it was a few years ago.

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.