Tuesday 31 March 2020

Getting Through the Jobs


 This enforced time spent at home here in Wales has meant there has been a real need to find useful ways to fill our days.  Although Alan is still working full time, albeit from home, he still has the evenings and weekends free, so with me being here rather than at the Van living a totally different kind of life and being here 24/7 at that, not being able to be here there and everywhere in my car visiting Mum, the shops or walking dogs, there has been quite a few extra hours to fill.

We have been using this time wisely, to do all those little jobs that have been put off and put off  ... and once they are done there has been a real sense of satisfaction for both of us.


For instance, yesterdays main job was to finally get around to finishing this little area near the gate.

When we first moved to North Wales and started walking the dogs along the  promenade and beach at Llandudno, we started to pick up a pebble with a white stripe each time we went.  One or two pebbles a week had added up to a nice little collection, one that we had been meaning to add to this area ever since the driveway was completed a couple of years ago.  Luckily we had continued to pick up a few more pebbles here and there recently as we needed a lot more than we had!!


Alan had already part filled the area with a layer of concrete a few days ago, and then yesterday he topped it with some quick drying cement and I set too to press in all of the pebbles before it dried.


It was going well, until I ran out of pebbles.

What to do?

I had to think fast.


Then I had a brainwave, and I raided Alan's little stash of old and antique tools and bits and bobs in the box in his workshop!!

He didn't really mind as he saw the lovely effect they created and in fact we loth love it so much we will probably use the rest of his collection at our new address in the future for a similar feature.

Only hopefully next time we will get round to doing it before we are about to sell up!!


Sue xx



19 comments:

  1. I love, love, love that little path. It's different and unique, quirky and just brilliant. I'd probably buy the house just for the pathway!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to make the postman smile, he's been tripping over the pile of pebbles by the gate for years now ;-)

      Delete
  2. I love the old tools. Such a groovy idea.
    My hubby is still at work too, but he has to go in.
    When you live in the trailer, does your hubby live there to?
    I'm still newish here so I don't know.
    Thanks and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was a fun idea :-)

      No, Alan doesn't live there with me, he visits most weekends though with our other dog. If we do get to sell this house we will most likely both live there for a while until we find our next home. But I think I will be keeping it as my little bolt-hole … it suits us and that's all that matters.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for telling me. I'm newish here (though I was here a long time ago before I stepped away from blogging but I was on your old blog for a little bit before leaving). Anyway, I didn't know so I thought I'd ask. Thanks for taking the time to be kind and answer. PS: Ordered the last of my seeds last night and 3 kinds of sorghum are on their way. I'm over the moon. Never grew it before but I love sorghum. PPS: Bolt-hole, that's a great name. We own a trailer but it doesn't move. Though, my dream is to own our land and also a travel bug or bolt-hole so we can travel but have our own bed, kitchen and dogs with us. Thanks again for answering. Happy Planting, Ivy

      Delete
  3. What a brilliant idea Sue, it looks fabulous, bound to bring a smile to any buyer's face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should help to make the place a bit more memorable if they view a few in one day as we used to do. We will be 'the one with the tools set in concrete and the plants in the toilet'!!

      Delete
  4. That is fun Sue, an I love the tools. I hope it will make you smile every time you see it.

    I have been thinking about you a lot, and how bluddy unfair it is that just as you were ready to put the small-holding up for sale, to all intents and purposes the housing market was completely shut down. The same has happened to someone else I know and it just adds to the stress at an already difficult time.

    I hope that, despite really not wanting to be there, you can find some peace and enjoyment in your last season at the house. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It already makes me smile, I don't know why we put some jobs off for so long!!

      Yes, it's a shame we just missed getting it on the market, but we'll just get on with things and hopefully if we can get it on the market later in the year it will show even better as a working and growing smallholding. Sheep in the fields and veggies in the tunnels etc.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you, it's a bit of fun and fill an awkward gap nicely.

      Delete
  6. Certainly a good time for us all to catch up on all the jobs, great job on that area, its all recycling/reusing/repurposing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, I just pray Alan doesn't decide he actually needs one of those spanners ;-)

      Delete
  7. Yes - catching up on jobs seems to be the order of the day for us all. Love your pebble/tool idea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What will we do when we run out of jobs to catch up on I wonder!!

      Delete
  8. Love the mixture of pebbles and old/antique tools. This really makes an interesting feature.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sort of sums our time up here perfectly … pebbles from the dog walks, tools from the workshop, my hammer and watering can rose from the polytunnel, the fencing nails and clips etc etc.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you, so do we ... why didn't we just get on with it and do it sooner 🤣🤣

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.