Saturday 9 May 2020

Just Sitting on the Hill with Sheep


Every night we walk the dogs around the paddock and they have a play.  When the sheep are in the big field they join in too, it's usually a woolly and furry free for all.

Ethel of course is really friendly, she's been with us for years now and is used to us and the dogs, her lamb Joey has only just gained enough confidence and learnt enough about the dogs to begin to have a bit of proper fun with them.  It seems strange that this boy lamb has taken so much longer to get the confidence, that his sister Jasmine had right from the start, you would sort of expect a boy lamb to be a bit more assertive and brave.

And as you can see from this photo the other ewe (one of Will's sheep)  is starting to be a bit more friendly to Suky too.  She really wasn't used to dogs when she first came here and Suky tried to make friends straight away only to be flipped and head butted by mum every time she went near the lamb.  She soon learned to keep her distance from both of them but it would seem now that mum is getting used to the dogs and is relaxing a bit around them.


Alan usually leaves a line of ewe nuts for the sheep to snack on and of course Suky the Pug tries her luck to snaffle a few.


Once they are all gone the playing begins.

Suky saying 'chase me, chase me' ....


... and then 'wait for me, wait for me', as Joey's longer legs and bouncy step get him quickly into the lead.


Then it's all slow down and get your breath back time.


Joey up close and personal.  He's a lovely sturdy little lamb.


And then even closer, showing off his beautiful eyes and eyelashes.

Once they get fed up with playing and the sheep all meander down the hill leaving the dogs sitting on the grass with us, we take a slow stroll back to the house and start to make our tea.


Sue xx



18 comments:

  1. There is a story for children here Sue - just waiting to be written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There really is isn't there. The Adventures of the Pug and the Lamb :-)

      Delete
  2. What beautiful photographs, I don't understand how anybody can eat these lovely creatures, I don't preach vegetarianism or veganism, I understand it's our choice , but I personally couldn't eat them my husband would given the chance but he knows I don't feel comfortable cooking it, he can put some mint sauce on a carrot if he's desperate !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing their personalities and how 'dog-like' they are AND the fact that they know their names ... I just do not understand how anyone can eat them. The fact that Alan says he loves them so much and yet has half a lamb in the freezer is unfathomable to me.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. They really are, and Joey is such a softy. He will make a lovely ram 🐏

      Delete
  4. How wonderful to have the sheep and lambs so close by. When we were in Wales a couple of years ago the sheep stuck their heads in the car window to try and eat our food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very friendly, inquisitive and always hungry 🤣

      Delete
  5. Oh I did enjoy going along with you on this adventure. Feelings of peace for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice that they are so friendly with us and the dogs.

      Delete
  6. I love farm animals. I always wished I could have them; especially horses. I live close to some - I can only drive by or on occasion, walk over and watch them.

    Thanks for sharing, I enjoy blogs from other parts of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being able to visit them without all the work sounds good though 😁

      Delete
  7. It is so sweet how they play with the dogs. And that Joey sure is a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh he's gorgeous now he's come out of his shell a bit 😃

      Delete
  8. What a handsome lad Joey is. Love the eyelashes. I wonder if he would share some.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Truly beautiful in so many ways. Definitely a story in the making.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is just precious. I love how sweetly they play with one another. What a relaxing way to wind down the day! I agree with the previous poster above...this would make a great children's story!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joey is absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.