Tuesday 5 May 2020

The Ever Changing Kitchen Shelves


Someone admired my shelves ... and then asked if they are just a static display of unchanging items.

Nope, they are an extension of the food cupboard and contain the most frequently used foodstuffs in this house.  Hence the contents of the jars may appear to be unchanged, but they are filled, emptied and are re-filled as we use what is in each and every one of them.

Occasionally the jars are refilled with something slightly different but usually we have the same foodstuffs all the time, perhaps now and then there's white rice instead of brown rice or a coconutty granola instead of a fruity one.  Sometimes I decant down a jar size if we have used most of something up to leave my bigger jar available for re-use for a similar product.

But mostly the shelves stay similar looking as over the years we have refined them to the things that we use regularly and that are handy and decorative to have around.  After all who doesn't love to see food in glass jars  😃

What the question did do is make me wonder how the shelves have evolved over the six years we have been here ... so I went back through my photos to have a look.


Completely empty in November 2013 ... just before we moved in.

We had spent the previous couple of months decorating and getting the house ready for us to live in.


January 2014


October 2015


January 2016

I can only find this snippet for 2016.


February 2017

No photo for 2018 ... I cannot believe I didn't take one shot of the shelves they seem to be photographed almost as much as the dogs 🤣🤣


December 2019


April 2020



This morning.
You can play Spot the Difference with the last two  😃


And that's what you get when you ask me a questions about something I've photographed!!


Sue xx


17 comments:

  1. I LOVE these photos. Awhile back I removed/demoed out all the upper cupboards in my kitchen because I wanted to do a few shelves. But the wall still needs fixed. Anyway, really love what you did here. LOVE IT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kitchens do appear more spacious without too many wall cupboards don't they, but then again wall cupboards can hide a multitude of sins ;-)

      Delete
    2. I say, let it all hang out! The day I removed the uppers in my kitchen I did a happy dance the entire time. And well before that, I've removed closets and other cupboards elsewhere in the house we didn't use/want/need. If it's not useful, OUT IT GOES!

      Delete
    3. That is exactly my philosophy :-)

      Delete
  2. Nice to see the progression. Love the background colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a colour that is in every room of the house to give us a bit of continuity in the rooms. It still looks good after over 6 years even though we have never repainted it :-)

      Delete
  3. I like that they look so good AND are so useful! It is great to see how they have evolved over the years as your needs/usage changed. Practical, yet pretty! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I don't have things that JUST look good they have to be useful too. They really have evolved haven't they :-)

      Delete
  4. I wish I could have shelves like that but I know I have OCD. Hubby drives me mad now not putting stuff in the right place or on the top shelf were I can't reach it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm more than used to Alan putting things back in the wrong place. I am starting to learn his 'wrong places' though so I can quickly retrieve things :-)

      I can only reach the things on the top shelf if I'm on tiptoe and I do have to sort of lift the bottom of the jar with one hand and be ready to catch it with the other. If I need one of the books I have to get the stool out and climb on the worktop ... which is what I have to do for cleaning the shelves once a month!

      Delete
  5. I've always loved your colorful shelves! Spot the difference? In the last photo I see a small jar of something (?) added in-between the Bisto cannister and the large jar with something orange in it. Sorry, my eyes are not good enough to tell what is in the jars but they all look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To make photos on the blog posts bigger try clicking on any of the photos and they will appear on screen on their own with a row of all the other photos at the bottom of your screen ... if you are on a computer rather than a phone.

      Well spotted with the jars, I decanted the last portion of Soup Mix from a bigger jar and put it into the small jar that is next to the Bisto tin ... which does actually contain Bisto granules much to Alan's amusement!!

      Delete
  6. I have so enjoyed seeing your shelves! I love the storage jars, and everything looks so bright and fresh!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good :-)

      I love things in glass jars, it really does make you want to use stuff doesn't it, and takes away from the garish packaging.

      Delete
  7. I so love the way you have everything you need for daily use within easy reach.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make life easier.

      Even little things like putting the Weetabix into a jar means that you don't get those annoying crumbs on the worktop as you open the packet every day. And it's much easier to pour things out from jars when you are weighing, or adding a bit of this or a bit of that.

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.