Wednesday 8 July 2020

Mixing Things Up, Sorting Things Out


Once I get things looking nice, I tend to keep them just the same.  

I'm not one for shifting furniture and changing things for changings sake ... I used to be, much to my first husbands amusement (or maybe horror), he never knew where the wardrobe would be to hang his clothes after a hard day at work.

Here at the Van this goes for the mantlepiece too, save for the odd bunch of fresh flowers or new scented candle to burn atmospherically late in the evenings, once it is as I like it it usually stays pretty much the same.

I don't like clutter, but I do like 'pretties' if they are also useful, and nicely arranged pretty things are pleasing to the eye and relaxing.  Although, while the mantlepiece was completely clear and drying after a quick wipe down I did briefly appreciate the blank sparseness of the space I had temporarily created.


Last November the mantlepiece looked like this.   Fresh Aldi Daisies in the jug, a few candles burning and the obligatory dozing Pug in front of the glowing fire.  I hasten to add I wasn't cooking Suky I was merely enjoying the flickering light of the false flames.


A quick change around yesterday saw some things go and some being slightly repositioned. 

 The wooden boxes stay, the  larger bottom one contains my nightlights, candles and the matches to light them.  The smaller top one is an antique moneybox, and each time I lift the lid to put in or take out some coins I think of some unknown child in the past, pushing their spending money pennies into it, just as I did with my little metal version as I saved for holidays to this very caravan park many, many years ago.


The new candle jar waits for a fresh Summer evening when it's orange blossom scent will fill the Van, and the Kilner jar holds a tangle of battery operated fairy lights that add to the prettiness when the candles flicker.

For Sue

That the books are predominately white or cream started as a pleasant accident as I tried to make room for some cook books on the kitchen shelves and were added to by one from the bedroom to make the stack an eye pleasing height.



I'm happy with it for now and once I get back to the shops a small bunch of Spring-like flowers will be purchased for the jug, until then the fake Lavender moves from bedroom to living room as and when I feel the urge for floral decoration.

The plants will gradually make their way here from Wales as I go home to chicken-sit when Alan works away, but for now I am relieved of watering duties.

Of course the Pug comes and goes as she pleases, and this little puppy bed of hers has always been a favourite.  A hug for a Pug from the furry liner that snuggles against her as she dreams her days and evenings away.

It's a lazy snuggly life here at the van at the moment, not much to do, but lots of time to do it.


Sue xx





27 comments:

  1. I need a close up of book titles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your wish is my command ... sorted :-)

      Delete
  2. That’s just my kind of life. Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. The empty space has a huge attraction, doesn't it? So does the prettiness of the filled shelf. Best of both I guess, win-win. You have such a restful space.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does, but then the need for a tidgy bit of pretty storage overcame my need for emptiness.

      Delete
  4. Sounds idyllic Sue and looks so pretty. Love to see a summer evening photo with your candles burning and the fairy lights twinkling. Sounds like you are really enjoying your time at the van and the peace and quite that comes with it. Your garden looks lovely to, puts mine to shame but my excuse is all the rain we have had here in Manchester recently. You sound a lot happier in your last couple of posts and that's so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm winding down in a good way after all the stresses of the last few weeks. Yes, there's been a lot of rain here too, I'm only an hour away from Manchester, but the trick has been to get out the minute the sun starts to shine ... however briefly :-)

      Delete
  5. You sound so much happier now you are back in your wee space. I have some little strings of lights around the fireplace and on top of my sewing cupboard in the corner of the sitting room. They add such magic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These little lights have been here there and everywhere, putting them in a jar seemed like a good idea to keep the dust off and condense their light into a small space. Fairy lights are magical aren't they, I think we are all just big kids when it comes to little lights :-)

      Delete
    2. Indeed - fairy lights are not just for Christmas!!

      Delete
  6. Suky switched straight back into Van life when we got here, she knew where to go to her comfy bed in the bedroom with me when we're here alone. And when I go round turning off lamps and blowing out candles she knows it's time for bed ... even though she's usually been snoozing all evening anyway :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A little corner of happy. Just what I need after reading John's post about lovely ole Winnie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winnie is tearing at all our hearts isn't she. She's so precious, and as lovely in person as she appears on the blog 💕

      Delete
  8. Oh Sue - seeing Pug so snug and happy makes me long for another one. It must be thirteen years since I lost Algy and I adored Tess (Border Terrier) but it would be lovely to have another pug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a very special breed aren't they, but constantly under your feet so don't be tempted. Suky has inadvertently tripped me so many times.

      Delete
  9. I like empty spaces and am always 'decluttering'! Your home has a nice calm look and a home is never a home without a pet imo (we have none since Ambercat went to heaven but probably will again). Mirrors always are good to reflect light and make make a room look bigger. Nice that you are enjoying puttering and homemaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel more like home with a furry companion. Alexa doesn't hold quite the same charm 🤣

      You'll know when the time is right for your next fur baby to join you. ♥️

      Delete
  10. There is something very cathartic about clearing a space, cleaning it down and repositioning the prettiness that is a must for relaxation. On another note Sue, hopefully the Chancellor will announce sooner rather than later a stamp duty holiday on homes up to £500k. This will give the house market some added incentive and stimulus. Suky looks so at home in the van as do you. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've just heard this on the radio. Fingers crossed it will help our sale 😃

      Delete
  11. It relaxes me to see your relaxing space. I love fairy lights too and keep finding new ways to use them. Enjoy your special space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep moving them around, I think they can just live in the jar until the batteries give up 🤣🤣

      Thank you, I will ♥️

      Delete
  12. Suky's look in that third photo--making me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's most likely just wanting me to leave her to snooze and snore in peace 🤣🤣

      Delete
  13. Picture perfect:) Awwww how gorgeous is Suky♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a beauty, and a proper little madam 😄🤣

      Delete
  14. Oh, welcome back :-). Sorry I am late catching up. xx

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.