Thursday 3 February 2022

I Shopped - TWICE

 

I'll forgive myself for not posting this on the right day but I bought these on Tuesday straight after I had my hair cut.  I called into Booths to pick up some eggs for Alan and remembered I needed a new baby card as my second great-grandchild is on her way.  💗

I didn't need any vegan Magnums, but they were on special offer at £2.50 a box instead of the usual £3.60 and temptation won.  So now I have six desserts ... or maybe just treats ... tucked into the freezer.

I can't find the receipt and that's probably why I forgot to post about them on Wednesday, I usually leave it on the worktop to remind me of my shopping folly. 😄

Anyway I know the Magnums were £2.50 each and the card was £3 for sure, so that's £8 spent!!


Alan needed some teabags yesterday so we called to Aldi.  The only things on my list were ...


... so I did quite well to come out with only one more thing.

I did need the lemon juice as I use this in my morning hot water when I don't have any lemon slices in the freezer.  It's so much cheaper than lemons too and handy to have in for all sorts of recipes.


I do have the receipt for this shopping and now it is firmly stuck in my Challenge diary.  So that's another £2.27 spent.

Wow ... £10.27 spent of my £50 monthly budget and it's only the third day of the month, I need to be good for the rest of this month.


I had a good look through the carrots and sorted them into two piles.  The ones that would last the longest and the ones that looked as though they needed to be used up first.  It just makes sense to do this when I want my fresh stuff to stay in good condition for as long as possible.


The biggest bag is full of the really good ones and the bag at the front has a slightly dodgy couple and the littlest ones which will all be used up this week.

Alan was amazed at such a large bag of carrots for just 45p, but the basis of lots of my previous low spend Challenges has been a bag of carrots, one of potatoes and one of onions.  For instance if you bought these three items from the Essentials/Wonky range at Aldi this week they would cost you a total of £1.84. and give you 5kg of vegetables for less than £2.

1.5kg Carrots 45p          1kg Brown Onions 50p          2.5kg Potatoes 89p

A couple of weeks this year I will most likely do a complete weeks shopping on just £10 using none of my tinned or freezer goods to bulk things out, just to see if it can still be done.  Would you be interested in that or has it already been done to death?

Edited to add:  Baby Nevaeh-Rose was born late last night weighing in at 7lbs 1oz.  The little family are doing well. 💖


Sue xx



36 comments:

  1. Yes, do it please Sue, I'd be interested. With the expected rise in the fuel bill cap to be announced today, we'll need to save where we can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would have to try it at least twice. Once with a plan in mind and once just winging it. It will definintely be harder now with so many foods having gone up in price by more than just a few pence.

      Delete
  2. The special boxes of veg for £1.50 are very good value for money, if you can find them. They tend to go early in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never seen them in our Aldi, but then I have never been there very early in the morning so perhaps my timing is just off.

      Delete
  3. Twice!!!! Gasp!
    I reckon you did pretty well. After all, who can resist a magnum on special and lemon juice is always a useful thing to have.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, twice in two days ... a new record during a Challenge!!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your new great-grand-daughter. We have yet to have any grand-children but I live in hope now T has a boyfriend:)

    The Magnums were worth buying as a special treat. The veg is such good value.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I have one of each now so they can all stop producing. ;-)

      It will be interesting to see how long the Magnums last ... one has already mysteriously vanished.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on the news of your second great-grandchild! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the granddaughter! Glad that all are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely news about the new great-granddaughter. Congratulations.

    Almost want to say congrats on finding a bag of carrots at that price. A small bag of carrots (fewer by far than what you go) costs more than £2.21 here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. xx

      Wow, whereabouts do you live? Carrots here in the UK grow extremely well and virtually all year round so they are usually one of the cheapest vegetables to buy.

      Delete
  8. I'm always interested in any challenge you do so yes to the 10 pound one. Congratulations on the new baby. Jo in Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There seems to be a lot of interest so I'll probably do it in a week or so when I have emptied the fridge of the fresh stuff that needs using up.

      Thank you, she is gorgeous.

      Delete
  9. Many congratulations on the birth of your baby Great-Granddaughter! Such lovely news and a good weight too :)

    Oh yes please, Sue, a week's shopping on £10 is always useful to see especially the way prices are shooting up at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's funny it's a weight that crops up over and over. My eldest son, her grandad was 7lb 2oz and my younger son 7lb 1.5oz and I'm pretty sure her dad, my grandson was that too. She was also awkward and thus a third generation C-Section baby.

      It would seem the Challenge is about to happen :-)

      Delete
  10. Congratulations on your new g granddaughter. I enjoy reading and learning from all your challenges so write away.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and yes, the Challenge will happen very soon. :-)

      Delete
  11. I could not trust myself not to scoff the magnums so don't buy them. Many congrats on the arrival of a new great granddaughter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit that one has already vanished .... but just one gone is good right!!

      Thank you. xx

      Delete
  12. Congratulations on the birth of your great granddaughter. Wonderful news. Keep up the good work with your challenges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it really is isn't it. It really brightened my week.

      Delete
  13. Congratulations!
    I don't dare buy Magnums or I'll eat the box within a couple of days - no willpower when it comes to ice cream!

    A 3 pound bag of carrots here will go on sale for $2 - the same with 3 pounds of onions - I can usually get them when needed for this amount at my local No Frills store. You get them for about half of what it costs me. I've found this past year that I have to be much more vigilant with checking veg to make sure it's not about to spoil - even carrots - and they aren't normally a problem. My onions don't seem to be keeping as well either - I don't think they are as good quality at the moment.

    Any challenge that you do is always interesting to follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes they are tempting. Maybe I should just have bought one box!!

      Carrots are a real UK staple and grow on home soil virtually all year round hence the low prices. Our onions do vary somewhat but just recently have been relatively okay ... although I did struggle to grow them on our Welsh hillside.

      Delete
  14. Is being a great grandma even more fun than being a grandma?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I don't see any of them that often I couldn't really comment on that apart from the added cost of gifts. But knowing she's here and safe, and that her parents ... although very young are happy ... is the main thing.

      Delete
  15. Such wonderful news on your new little great granddaughter, very exciting indeed to welcome another little baby into your family♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, her parents are thrilled. Two great-grandchildren at my age is pretty astonishing, and it makes my poor son feel very old being called grandad for the second time!!

      Delete
  16. I'd love to see your weeks shopping challenge! Maybe I could learn something. Congratulations on the brand new great-grand child! How exciting and I love her beautiful name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Challenge coming up in a week or so most likely, once I've eaten the fresh things from the fridge.

      Thank you, her name is lovely isn't, she's been named since she was a little three month old bump.

      Delete
  17. Congratulations on the the birth of little Nevaeh Rose. Absolutely brilliant!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'd be interested in seeing if a week's shopping can be purchased on 10 pounds Sterling :) With the cost of living going up everywhere, I already know that I cannot manage that here in the high COL city of Los Angeles. I have a difficult enough time just sticking to $100 a week for the family :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will definintely make it harder to do and thus more interesting now that the prices have shot up. I guess there will have to be a core of ingredients used over and over in different ways.

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.