Sunday 13 February 2022

I KNEW it Would Come in Handy!!

 


I had a couple of crusts of bread in the freezer that I decided to turn into garlicky fried breadcrumbs to top the pasta bake that I showed on the last post.  

I forgot to take a photo but I can assure you that the addition of crunchy garlicky breadcrumbs to the top of the luscious cheesy pasta bake made for a very tasty meal.


Of course two crusts made a lot more breadcrumbs than I actually needed so my saved jar from THIS post, you know the one where we all sat in a circle and said 'my name is .......... and I hoard pretty empty jars',  came in very useful and the rest are now safely stashed in the fridge for another day.


It's been quite a cheesy weekend because I decided to use part of one of the shop-bought ready rolled rolls of pastry from the freezer, along with the last of the Vegan Ch**se Sauce and some red onion to make myself a nice big pasty.


I've all but given up on cutting out a circle for a pasty and now I just slice off the right size width of pastry straight from the roll and fold it over and crimp.  Anyway I love the edges 😄


I used one of my last five remaining potatoes to pad out the pasty a bit and add some body to the filling.  Gosh it was tasty.

I'll be back tomorrow with what I did the rest of the potatoes, because as well as it being a cheesy weekend it was most definintely a pastry filled one too.


Sue xx


For those of you who had a minor panic attack or were worried about my literal 12 hour vanishing trick, it was done by me for a very good and specific reason and there is nothing weird or wonderful going on.  For those of you who didn't even notice ... this makes no sense whatsoever, and I thank you.  😁


28 comments:

  1. Mmm, I love anything cheesy. If I had to take something to a desert island as my luxury item, it would be a hamper of cheese!

    Shame it's not something wonderful ;-) haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed and was disappointed when you disappeared, but I know you have said before that you would stop blogging so I wished you well. I forgot this morning and was very happy to see you back.
    How I miss being able to buy nice pies at a shop. Yours looks very tasty.
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember saying I would stop blogging, now you've got me thinking!!

      Delete
  3. You're allowed to pull off a vanishing trick once in awhile, Sue. I'm just sad this time wasn't for something wonderful. :-) All your food looks delicious!! ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once in three months isn't bad, sometimes work beckons more strongly.

      Delete
  4. I did wonder where you were but felt sure you would soon return. The pasty looks delish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How's your weather? Have you been getting out with the dogs for walks? I am wondering how your back is feeling. Are you recovered from that terrible back pain you had?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. Weather atrocious.
      2. Minimal walking, me because of back and Suky because of arthritis and the vet trying to get it under control for her.
      3. Back is still pretty dreadful, but with the odd half-good day when I can do a bit more.
      4. Nope, still on medication. But I think the breaks have almost healed as there's less 'grinding' when I try to lie down.

      Delete
  6. That looks delicious. You are so creative in cooking. I wondered where you went but was sure it was just a glitch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a glitch in any way, totally on purpose and work related. Occasionally the day job has to take precedent ;-)

      Delete
  7. I think we noticed and you might have got away with one more day before we sent out the search party! Hope you well though. I am coveting that jar and smiled at your little game - perhaps there is a jaraholics anonymous group if the obsession gets out of hand. I could just eat a pasty - Waitrose used to do a lovely veggie Cornish Pasty but now don't stock them anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must say its was amazing how many people were emailing and messaging me via other sites. I guess after blogging every single day for the past couple of months my absence was bound to be noticed!!

      Delete
  8. This post just makes me hungry. Pasties are not a thing here in the US but I wish they were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are in Northern Minnesota so likely in Northern Wisconsin too. The result of all the iron mines up there or down in my perspective.

      Delete
    2. Ooh Sue, just grab some of your favourite foods and wrap them in pastry. You deserve a good pasty or pie. :-)

      Delete
  9. I love the vision of all of us sitting in an "empty jar hoarding circle" declaring our vice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The pasty makes me feel hungry every time you make one. I'm hopeless at pastry making so I think I ought to put some ready made on my food shopping list this week. Sainsburys used to sell lovely cheese pasties for about 39p each but haven't had any for ages.
    Love the use of the pretty jar 😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do tend to buy any rolls of ready-rolled pastry that I see with yellow stickers as it freezes so well. But it's less than a pound in Aldi so it's always a good buy to turn leftovers into a nice filling meal.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. No problem, there seemed to be a strange sense of concern.

      Delete
  12. Glad to know YOU knew what was happening! I wondered if I'd done something wrong, or my computer was playing up...
    Your "Creative-With-Leftovers" food looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I did it so I knew for sure :-)

      I love playing with leftovers. I did a Challenge once where I saved a part of every meal that I ate and had to add it to the next, it really gets you thinking.

      Delete
  13. Wow, this makes me hungry and I even cooked today...Too bad it wasn't something wonderful which kept you away but it is always nice when you return!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm back, although a day away was strangely refreshing.

      Delete
  14. Yes, empty jars, not to mention those 'very useful' cardboard boxes.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.