Friday 11 February 2022

Using Things Up

 

Two of the things I definitely needed to use up this week were the broccoli that I bought at the end of January and the vegan Cheese Sauce that went out of date last month ... or as it says on the jar Ch**se Sauce.  It makes me laugh the various spellings they use when they veganise foods, so many variations that children are going to grow up not knowing how to spell some things properly.

I noticed the pasta jar was getting quite low, but a quick peek in the cupboard showed me that I really don't have to worry.  I have a couple of packs of pasta shapes and lots of spaghetti.

I cooked up enough for my lunch ... yes that is a mixture of Penne and Fusilli pasta shapes, I tipped them all together when we moved house and gave the jar a shake ... and put the leftovers into an oven proof dish ready to top it with some garlic fried breadcrumbs tomorrow night and there's still a little bit of the sauce left that I think I might use as the sauce in a vegetable pasty or two over the weekend.

The first portion was very tasty, so I have high hopes for the following two.  😀


Sue xx



13 comments:

  1. I swear my pasta reproduces itself when I'm not looking. There always seems to me so much more than I remember buying!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was Jamie O (but I can't verify this) who talks about Italian nonnas having a jar of "Pasta Mista" - all the oddments of pasta shapes from the ends of the packets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was Jamie I watched that programme only the other week :-)

      Delete
  3. Your broccoli kept well - even kept in the fridge I find sometimes it can go yellowy very quickly and have a slight composting smell about it so I always use it first in meals while it is fresh. Meanwhile I have a sweet potato that must have been in the fridge since before Christmas still going strong! We don't leave any food at the caravan here during the winter months so it will be an interesting last day meal for us to use up whatever isn't eaten - pea, cabbage and leek soup will be on the menu!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering where you went, you disappeared from my list yesterday! I don’t have pasta very often as carbs just make me feel yuk. I recently tried red lentil pasta which was lovely. I always buy wholewheat which is meant to be healthier and agree it do versatile, cheap and easy to store.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got loads of pasta too, and 3 different kinds of lentils (why?!?!), split peas, couscous, bulgur wheat and rice - it's about time I started using them all! I buy these things when I'm on a health kick, stick them in the cupboard and then forget about them....

    I bet your pasta will taste even better the second time around. Good idea to use the sauce in a pasty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love broccoli, it's the thing I most miss when I'm away in India for six weeks! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pasta is one of the most useful foods to have in the cupboard. You can add so many things to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh that looks yummy! Thank you for the challenge inspiration, I'm sure it's helping many of us to rethink food, waste, cash spent, and making the most out of every shopping trip. You make it fun :)
    S.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pasta dish looks very tasty. A great way to use items up.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I am glad to find your blog here again! I wasn't allowed access for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are a couple of comments on an old post of mine by people who say they haven't been able to read your blog for a few days but I see comment above so perhaps they will be able to again now. Another Blogger mystery?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No mystery at all, my own doing for a specific reason ... and I was literally gone for just 12 hours!!

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.