Monday 14 February 2022

Vegetables and Pastry



The last of the potatoes, the last of the celery, a couple of onions and the smaller carrots that I wanted to use up first.  Along with a tablespoon of bouillon and some water and seasoning made the component parts of six meals. 


One of the more finely chopped potatoes was cooked first and then scooped out to cool down and be added to the Cheese and Onion Pasty that I showed yesterday.  Then the rest of the chopped vegetables were added to the already potatoey water along with the bouillon and some more water.  This was then turned into a vegetable stew ... with the late addition of a large handful of peas ... that I had for another meal.  

After the rest had cooled a bit a couple of spoonfuls of the stew left in the pan were then lifted out with minimal water to be added to another strip of the same roll of pastry I used yesterday to make a Vegetable Pasty.  Then what was left was whizzed up with my stick blender to make three good sized portions of Vegetable Soup for some of this weeks lunches.


After making two pasties from this pack of pastry there was a very narrow strip of pastry left.  I could have just made the pasty a bit larger but I had a different plan in mind.

I rolled out the pastry to make it wider and thinner, sprinkled on some of my tastier cheeses, folded it over, rolled it again and cut it into four biscuit sized portions.


They looked like this.

Then I baked my pasty and cheese biscuits together, knowing that the biscuits could come out first and be a tasty little starter while my pasty continued cooking.


Too tasty ... it's a good job there were only four!!

Just like the softest and tastiest of cheese straws but flat and hot straight from the oven.  😋

And finally the pasty ... just my usual vegetable pasty but very enjoyable.  I didn't bother with gravy just a small dollop of mayonnaise.

Not the most balanced of weekend foods if you just look at the photos I have shown but bear in mind there was also the last three of the mandarin oranges and one of the apples consumed, a spinach and fruit smoothie for breakfast on Sunday and a large portion of liquid apple on both Saturday and Sunday evenings.  🍷🍷 😉

I could of course have just gone out and bought a pack of various pasties or pies but isn't making your own from what you already have in just that much more satisfying?


Sue xx



15 comments:

  1. Ever so much more satisfying and probably loads tastier too.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really tasty ... and VERY filling!

      Delete
  2. Very frugal indeed. I think I would have put some oomph in my pasty as my palate demands it, but each to his own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's just nice to be able to taste the vegetables, and the stock I use plus the salt and lots of white pepper made it pretty tasty just as it was.

      Delete
  3. Homemade is always best. That looks delicious and so simple to make too. I often add grated parmesan cheese or ground walnuts to the pastry crumbs before mixing in the water when I make my own pastry to use up any leftover bits of nuts from making nutloaf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that sounds nice, some dried stuffing mix would be a good addition too, and even sprinkling it over ready-rolled bought pastry would work. Thanks for the idea, I have a jar of stuffing mix in the cupboard.

      Delete
  4. Using things up is a good feeling. My mum always used to say "waste not want not" and it's still true today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does seem to be a good motto for these current times doesn't it. I have never seen such a big interest in wartime recipes on various social media sites as just recently. Thank goodness our Mums and Grannies have left us a good legacy of common-sense.

      Delete
  5. I often do the same sort of cooking - prepare 1 type of protein and a few different veg and then perhaps a couple of different carbs and then just mix and match for different meals. And given the price increases I saw at the grocery store yesterday, we're all going to have to use up every scrap of food we buy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just makes sense to make the best use out of what we have and what we buy doesn't it.

      Delete
  6. Really great way of using things up. This is what we all should be doing.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more. Once we buy something we should make sure we get full use out of it.

      Delete
  7. You never fail to impress me Sue! One of my problems with making vegetable mixtures is that I'm allergic to the Nightshade family - potatoes, tomato, chilli, etc, and sweet potato or pumpkin just doesn't give the same subtlety of flavour. And, to make matters worse, I have to be careful not to overdo the cheese. Very boring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, that must be a real headache :-(

      Are you okay with onions and garlic?

      Delete
  8. I drool when I see your pasties♥ I think at one time you made your own pastry using oil, recipe from Thrifty Lesley? I printed out Lesley's recipe on 10/8/20 and I've yet to make it:( I must try harder:)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.