Monday 21 February 2022

Shortest Month and Six Shopping Trips!!


Alan wanted some shopping, I must say it's weird to me just how many times he seems to be shopping ... but of course I joined in, it would have been rude not too!!

I didn't really need to, indeed I should be making do with what I already have in, but I thought why not get the things I have definintely run out of or am about to so that I can keep the cupboards reasonably well stocked.  Hence my rather eclectic range of items.  I had no peanut butter in at all ... which I rather disappointedly found out when I went in the cupboard to get some for my toast ... and the large tub was a very reasonable £3.99 and should last me quite a while.

Bread for my morning slice of toast which is now happily in the freezer, just two potatoes as I fancied a baked potato for lunch one day this week, wraps for quesadillas which make another nice quick but very satisfying lunch, mixed veggies because they were reduced and some more paracetamol to keep the stocks turning over.

I had been tempted by something in the middle aisle but I resisted.


A total spend of £7.42.


One kilo of pure peanut butter .... yum yum  😋


I was just getting in the car when I thought 'sod it' and went back in to buy the item that was tempting me.  A sausage roll maker for just £14.99.

And a packet of ready rolled pastry to go with it, as all mine is in the freezer and I simply couldn't wait for it to thaw out to make some sausage rolls for my tea.  Aldi's lovely version for just £1.19 for four seem to have been discontinued since November of last year and I have really been missing them.

The other two items on the receipt were Alan's so not out of my budget (two boxes of Macaroni Cheese that you just add water to and microwave ... he said it was delicious).

So I have spent a total of £44.59 this month already, leaving me just £5.41 available for next week if I need to use it.  The shortest month and already almost up to my budget, maybe I do need to do that definitive £10 shopping for one week to get me into a better mindset.


Sue xx


22 comments:

  1. Recently I've been mixing a spoonful of chutney in with my sausagemeat when making sos rolls. This has received positive feedback from the eaters (I think it was a top from Jamie Oliver) enjoy your new gadget

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds good, I've been using Linda McCartney sausage rolls mushed up with some made up sage and onion stuffing mix, it's gorgeous. I see many variations coming up :-)

      Delete
  2. My Aldi have the sausage rolls back in after a short while without.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly none in ours although the vegan range has grown considerably since the last week in January.

      Delete
  3. I don't think I have ever come across a sausage roll maker before. I look forward to reading how you use it. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's brilliant. Up to now we have had sausage and stuffing rolls, pate rolls and apple pie rolls, using some of a tin of apple pie filling that I had in the cupboard. Every one delicious.

      Delete
  4. I'm always put off by gadgets as it means learning how to use it - and my poor brain has nearly reached it's limit! So good luck with it.
    I buy the Aldi peanut butter - no added nasty stuff has to be good (PS luckily it's £3.99 and not the £4.99 you have written - which frightened me when I saw it as I need some next shop and thought OMG it's gone up a £1!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so simple, you just put in on to heat for two minutes then lift up the lid put the right sized pastry on, put your filling in the indentations and pop on another piece of pastry, lid down, wait ten minutes et voila.

      Yes, typo now corrected ... sorry for the hair raising moment ;-)

      Delete
  5. I collected a free jar of some quite expensive new peanut butter with a coupon from Sainsbury's at Christmas time together with some expensive cheesecakes. I gave the peanut butter to my daughter as we don't eat it (so I thought) but once promised to my daughter DH of almost 46 years informed me that he does like it and would eat it if I bought it! You learn something everyday. Look forward to the sausage roll making post tomorrow then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a Booths offer of a free jar of peanut butter last Wednesday, but unfortunately the weather was just too atrocious for me to go and get it. I was gutted. I know Alan hates peanut butter with a vengeance, one of only two foods in the world that he doesn't like ... but rather weirdly he LOVES peanuts!!

      Delete
  6. It's always fatal to visit the store to browse isn't it. Mind you, I've never even heard of a sausage roll maker before so I'm fascinated at the thought of it! Despite your being tempted to buy it, your budget has been stretched admirably this month and I'm sure you'll manage to stay within your limit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes shopping when you don't really need anything is never wise!! Thank goodness it didn't take me over this months budget at all. I should be fine with my £5.41 :-)

      Delete
  7. To my eyes, it appears you are well set for next week, and probably will not need to tap into that 5.41 at all. I'm interested in your sausage roll maker as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try and stay away from the shops, but it would be good to see how much food can be bought with £5.41 ... almost a mini Challenge in itself.

      Delete
  8. Ooooo, I'm very tempted to go see if I can get one here! There's no such thing as a vegetarian gluten free sausage roll that I've found (although I'm happy to be corrected!) but I could easily make some...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it would be great for being able to use your own gluten free pastry in wouldn't it, what a good idea :-)

      Delete
  9. I bet you'll have loads of fun with that sausage roll maker! Just as well there isn't an Aldi for miles, Jon would love that! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Men do love their gadgets don't they. My Dad used to browse the aisles of Lakeland whenever he could and come home with the strangest but 'useful to him' products.

      Delete
  10. Here in the US Aldi has peanuts quite cheap in the snack section. I whiz those up in my food processor for the least expensive and most delicious peanut butter. Not sure of the cost of plain roasted peanuts vs peanut butter where you are, but it might be a good hack when you are pinching pennies or pence :) .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cost using the cheapest roasted non-salted peanuts from Aldi would be around the £3 mark, it might be worth me making a small batch to see how it compares and if my food processor can actually cope with the time it takes. But honestly I think even during this Challenge I would rather buy it ready made.

      But as you say sometimes saving pennies wins over convenience!!

      Delete
  11. In the US we call that aisle the Aisle of Shame or AOS. There are facebook groups dedicated. There always seems to be just something that I can't do without there! Last time it was just a pair of wool socks - they ended up being excellent. I wish we had a sausage roll maker. That looks fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Aisle of Shame is a very good nickname for it, it's amazing what you can find sometimes.

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.