Saturday 18 June 2022

A Very Sobering Thought

 

One Week's Food on Ration Challenge Week - less than £3.50

We went to Booth's for some shopping the other day and decided to treat ourselves to a little bit of lunch.  We were economical and we each chose a 50% off toasted sandwich and Alan picked the last slice of Victoria Sponge which also had 50% off, being cardholders we also got a reduction because we had a coffee and a cake.  

As you can see from the copy of the receipt at the bottom of this post it came to £13.69 ... enough cash to feed a refugee for ONE MONTH.

A very sobering thought!!

I'll be back tomorrow to show you my final preparations for the Ration Challenge ... I'm out today to buy garlic and spring onions the only fresh foods I need to get for the week ... and then I will be posting each day afterwards for the whole of the Ration Challenge Week.  Sharing each days food the day after I eat it, so that I can take photos for you to see my masterpieces or mush ... we'll see which it is. 😄


Sue xx


Copy of my online receipt from Booths Café. 👇


Dear Cardholder,

Thank you for shopping at Booths today. Here is your email receipt. We will send you this every time you shop with us. You will be able to see details of your rewards, discounts and keep it as a record of your purchases.


Product CodeProduct NameQtyTotal
715007CAFE CHOC/ORNG T EACH1£2.60
710133CHSE/ONION TOAST EACH
 Reduced price
1£3.95
 -£1.97
710125VEGAN MUSH TOAST EACH
 Reduced price
1£3.95
 -£1.97
715329CAFE VIC SOPNGE 1650G
 Reduced price
1£2.95
 -£1.47
715247CHIPS (TRIAL) EACH1£1.50
714015LARGE AMERICANO EACH1£2.75
714002REG TEAPOT BAG EACH
 CARDHOLDER CAKE & HOT DRINK
1£2.25
 -£0.85
Discount
CARDHOLDER CAKE & HOT DRINK£0.85
Line Discount£5.41
Total£13.69





13 comments:

  1. It in indeed most sobering. What a crazy world we lie in - and not for good reasons, often. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as I looked at the receipt it really hit home!

      Delete
  2. That receipt puts it all into perspective doesn't it Sue. I was trying to imagine what vegan mush toast is then realised it's probably a MUSHROOM toastie! :) lol... That sounds much tastier!
    I'm looking forward to following your challenge. Good luck! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes it was a vegan cheeze and mushroom toastie, of course I had to scrape all the mushrooms off mine and onto Alan's as I really hate mushrooms, but that was all that was really suitable for me ... I do have to admit to eating more than my fair share of the chips!!

      Delete
  3. Absolutely ! Reading your recent posts about this challenge has really made me think, so the money that my mum gave us for a treat take away has gone into your fund, I shall make us sweet and sour tofu and we will enjoy it even more now. I was quite upset by the negative comment regarding your challenge, it was so insulting , you doing this shows respect and understanding towards the refugees, it is much easier for us to make a donation, whatever the amount, but to do what you and others are doing is amazing, (I hope I am not speaking out of turn as it was a discussion between the two of you. ) Go girl !!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your second donation to this wonderful cause. You did the same last time I did the Challenge, your generosity is never forgotten.

      I think myself and the commenter have worked things out between us, but thank you for your concern. xx

      Delete
    2. Oh my goodness, fancy you remembering that, when mum comes to visit she nearly always leaves some money for a take away, your last ration challenge I think it was what she had given for our anniversary and we were only too pleased to contribute, I wish I had the gumption to join in the challenge, maybe one day ,x

      Delete
    3. I have a pretty good memory ... unless you ask me to remember something, and then it's sort of pot luck!!

      Delete
  4. I went into Booths once in Keswick but I just could not bring myself to pay the prices, I did an about turn and drove to Aldi in Penrith I know it cost me more in petrol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I used to think that too when I lived in Ulverston where there is also a branch of Booths, and I rarely shopped there. But since living so close to this branch I have found them to be brilliant for 'yellow sticker' offers, spot bargains and regular free gifts for cardholders. I am very lucky that to compare Booths prices with Aldi's I literally only have to walk across the car park as they are virtually side by side. Booths is also the only supermarket with a café in our small town, so if we eat there we do tend to pick up a few things at the same time ... and they are the supermarket in our town with the most vegan options so I do stock up on things regularly.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you are ready and organized for your challenge so I know you will do great! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am feeling quietly calm and confident that I have this planned out well and I am ready to enjoy my week eating mainly rice and flatbreads. I think I am more settled because even if I lose the will to cook and end up subsisting mostly on rice I know that between us we have raised a magnificent amount for a very good cause. I feel rather weirdly soothed by that.

      Delete
  6. AFTER TODAY I WILL NO LONGER BE PUBLISHING ANY COMMENTS THAT ARE LEFT ANONYMOUSLY.

    I UNDERSTAND COMPLETELY THAT BLOGGER IS PLAYING UP RECENTLY AND WE HAVE ALL STRUGGLED TO LEAVE COMMENTS ON VARIOUS BLOGS, ESPECIALLY THOSE OF US WHOSE LINKS ARE SUPPOSED TO LINK BACK TO OUR OWN BLOGS. SO WITH THIS IS MIND, IF YOU HAVE NO OTHER OPTION BUT TO USE THE ANONYMOUS FUNCTION PLEASE JUST SIGN YOUR NAME AT THE END OF THE COMMENT.

    NO NAME, NO PUBLISH ... AS SIMPLE AS THAT!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.