Saturday 25 June 2022

Ration Challenge 2022 - Day Six - Extra Flour

 


This morning I added some turmeric to the rice again, with the sunshine of yesterday vanishing with the thunderstorm that hit us at teatime, a blast of yellow was needed to start the day today.  Once again I made a double portion so the main part of my tea was ready and waiting.


For some reason this year I have got my calculations slightly wrong and I have no lentils left for the planned Lentil Pancakes for lunch and I also seem to have less flour left than I thought I should.  Happily though one of my teammates who started two days early than the rest of the team as she had plans for this weekend, offered her leftovers to the rest of us.  I asked for the flour and there was 114g on offer.


Just perfect for me to be able to make some pastry to wrap two of my leftover Lentil and Bean Burgers from yesterday.


They looked pretty good once the burgers with their dahl topping were wrapped in the pastry.


And even better once cooked, although I've noticed that with pastry made with oil you don't get the same browning, and of course I had no milk to brush them with.


My tea was virtually the same as my breakfast, the only difference being a sprinkle of chopped spring onions.  The onions have made a real difference to my food this week.  As well as the flavour they add to the food, there's something about that pop of green that makes you feel that the meals are just a tad healthier.

It's the final day tomorrow, and as you saw yesterday I have lots of rice left, I think I have just about enough of everything else to make three good meals.  Of course I also have just under a teaspoon of coffee left, but I'm planning to have that tonight, to be drunk in lieu of a glass of wine while I sit and watch Gogglebox, one of my favourite programmes.

Thank you so much for all your support, the total is currently standing at £2,056 ... an amazing amount and one I really didn't expect to reach.

THANK YOU 💖

Sue xx



16 comments:

  1. Huge congrats, because I know I could not do it.
    No thunderstorm here but at least we have finally had a bit of rain which the garden badly needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thunder was unexpectedly back this afternoon, just as I had got a load of washing ready to go on the washing line, oh well as you say the gardens most definintely need it ... and it does make the air nice and fresh afterwards.

      Delete
  2. You are AWESOME!!! I have read your posts and studied your photos of those meals throughout the week and admired your willpower, knowing that I would have fallen by the wayside within a day or two. No coffee, no toast, no eggs, no milk. . . . .Aaaaarrrggghhh!
    Of course I realise that the people you are supporting have no choice in their bland and boring diets but you have done it all week with the knowledge that all those tasty foods are within your reach - and I applaud you, so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No eggs, no milk ... no problem. No coffee and no toast definintely aaarrrggghhh ;-)

      The cupboard has been calling me all week, hence me having all my food out on the worktop, if I had peeked in the cupboard the temptation might have been too much!

      Delete
  3. Agree very much with the above comments. Amazing what you have achieved
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, we have all achieved the amount together. And knowing how much everyone donated was what kept me rigorously on the straight and narrow even though I have been home alone all week ... well apart from the furries, and their food is no temptation whatsoever!!

      Delete
  4. You have done a good job of demonstrating how little food that refugees have to live on. It makes me want to weep for the poor who suffer this way and makes me so angry at those that criticize and berate them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do live in a strange world don't we, definitely one of the haves and the have nots and even more sadly the ones that just do not give a damn. Imagine if every billionaire gave away a couple of their billions the good it could do, and they would barely even notice.

      Delete
  5. I so agree with Rambler, you ARE awesome, Sue, to have seen this through to the end. The week has flown by for me but I bet it hasn't for you. So very well done on raising such a lot of money for a very good cause. You deserve your coffee fix on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. The week has gone past so quickly ... even if strangely enough the days didn't seem too. I have purposely paid a fine to round up my total and will toast the week out with a cup of coffee.

      Delete
  6. I think it's wonderful that you were donated leftovers as I am sure that refugees would help each other out . Nearly there, apart from a bucket of coffee have you been fantasising about your first yummy thing to eat, I would have to have chips, followed by more chips :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was why we were allowed to donate leftovers between team members, as the idea of teams was to try and replicate family groups sharing what they had. I just want a nice glass of ice cold fresh orange juice and oooh ... a chip butty would be BLISS right now!!

      Delete
  7. You've done so very well. xx

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.