Wednesday 22 June 2022

Ration Challenge 2022 - Day Three



I started my day as usual with a cup of hot water and then two hours later after washing my hair and then walking the dogs I had breakfast.  It was nice having the component parts already made and in the fridge, all I had to do was make a bit of space in the dish that the rice was is and tip one of the little pots of dahl into the space.  Three minutes later breakfast was cooked.

A Ration Challenge ready meal. ๐Ÿ˜


I looked at the menu and realised that I needed two lots of floury items today so I decided to make up 100g of flour, salt and water and start the prep for both of them.


I wasn't all that hungry so I divided the dough into two thirds and a third.


First I rolled out the larger piece and cut my tagliatelle strips ready for teatime.  As you can see the little end pieces were not wasted but balled up together to add to my lunch.


I wiped down a coat hanger, and then using the edge of the knife to pick up half of the pasta strips at a time I draped them over the bar, and they stayed like this all afternoon to dry out.


Now it was time to start on lunch, one nice thin large flatbread and one teeny tiny offcuts one.


Which cooked nice and quickly all on it's own in the pan.


Lunch for day three was a lovely crispy flatbread and my little dish of Kidney Bean Pรขtรฉ, with a glass of ice cold water straight from the fridge ... something I doubt a refugee gets to enjoy. ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ 


I remembered to soak my chickpeas overnight last night, thanks mainly to my menu being stuck on the side of the fridge, I do find that I am referring to it a lot to keep me on track.  So this morning while I got on with other things I cooked them for an hour.  Even though I knew I wouldn't be eating the hummus I was going to make with them until tomorrow,  I wanted to use the remnants of the hummus left in the Nutribullet cup to make the basis of the sauce to go with my pasta for tea.


I decided to use 100g of the cooked chickpeas for the hummus ...


... and followed this very basic recipe.

The crossed out words are 2tbs of Peanut Butter ...I gave my peanut butter away!!


The hummus went into a tub to go into the fridge and the rinsed out Nutribullet cup went into the fridge as well for later


And here is my tea ... Pasta, with Hummus and Spring Onion Sauce.  

 It was very filling, a lot more so than it looks like it was going to be.


A HUGE thank you to everyone who has donated to this worthwhile cause.  The last four donations were all matched pound for pound by another mystery Ration Challenge benefactor, and have made a big difference to my fundraising total.  THANK YOU.  ๐Ÿ’–


Sue xx




16 comments:

  1. I have some mixed beans leftover from yesterday - I'm going to try making some sort of hummus from them (some of them anyway) - thank you for the inspiration. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I need to experiment a lot more with beans after this challenge. I didn't even know that I liked red kidney beans until the first time I did this back in 2019 and to be honest I still haven't used them much since. Something I think it's time to rectify, you get a lot of nutrition from beans for quite a low price don't you.

      Delete
  2. Another day over, very well done Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so admire your commitment. Perhaps too much detail but I would be feeling very windy by now with all the Dahl and chickpeas!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very surprised I'm not more windy to be honest ;-) Suky is windy enough for everyone in this house!!

      Delete
  4. Your mention of the cold water made me wonder how refugees prepare these meals for themselves. I imagine that they do not have many of the modern conveniences that we have access to. Do they ever have a challenge where you have to use just what the refugees have to cook with?
    It is difficult to cook with the small amounts you get but you are doing a great job of finding different dishes to make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Refugees in some camps do have kitchen facilities that they can share, but of course some do cook in their tents the traditional way. Some of the Ration Challengers are working hard to replicate the refugee way of life and living in tents in their own gardens and cooking on camping stoves etc.

      Delete
  5. Are you allowed to use garden herbs to add taste? Chives would be nice with the pasta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No we are not allowed to forage or pick home grown things unless we are classing it as the 'reward vegetable' and taking the whole 170g of something.

      Delete
  6. You are doing so well ,I don't know if I could do it and you cooking that little iddy biddy dough was so telling I would have thrown it away ,it shows me how wasteful I can be and that's so disrespectful of me toward food and people that have so little of it, as my maths teacher used to say, I must try harder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cooking little bits of dough or pastry has always been my 'thing'. Most times when I make a pie or pasty there is a single jam tart in the offing or a couple of cheese straws :-)

      My maths teacher used to say, 'Sue should talk less, concentrate more AND try harder'.

      Delete
  7. I have to say you really think outside the box. Never would have thought to use a coat hanger as a pasta dryer but it makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ... I like to use things I have to hand, and why store a pasta dryer in my tiny kitchen when I have a wardrobe full of 'pasta dryers' ;-)

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.