Friday 24 June 2022

Ration Challenge 2022 - Day Five - Not Moaning Honest!!

 

Breakfast - Spicy Rice and Dahl.

Today has been my worst day mind-wise all week, talk about feeling fuzzy.  It's been very hot and there's been a Rowntree's stripey ice lolly calling my name all day from the freezer.  At one point I thought about putting him out on the patio to melt to death ...  but I resisted.  He's still in the freezer the little b**tard!!

I kept myself busy, putting up net curtains, watering the garden ... now that was a pointless exercise considering that we've just had a thunderstorm ... and cleaning.


I thought I would have a tasty a lunch as I could make.

Spicy rice, with kidney beans and spring onions and the leftover falafel from yesterday.  It worked for a while and I felt full and satiated.


But then I started drooping again and I decided that the time had come for my second cup of coffee of the week.  I have enough left for one more cup or two half cups, as long as I don't mind it a bit weaker than usual.

I wont mind!!


I had switched the planned lunch and tea meals from my menu around as come lunch time I realised I hadn't cooked the lentils to make my Lentil and Bean Burgers.


A panful of mush, but tasty mush.


I got the burgers in the pan and realised that the photo shows what food I have left on the tray ...


... so I took another photo showing what's left in the fridge.


Oh, and there's three spring onions left too.


The burgers when they were cooked.  I simply had one of these with a large glass of water for my tea and then that was it ... day five over and done with.

I've been going to bed pretty early and falling asleep easily, and if it hadn't been for the dogs and Ginger waking me up at the crack of dawn every day this week while Alan has been down South at work, I think I would have gotten much more sleep this week, something that I think I am really needing at the moment.

Tomorrow is another day, the penultimate day of the Ration Challenge.  Thank you so much to everyone who is supporting me and who has donated their money to this worthwhile cause.

My fundraising page is HERE.

Sorry, I have no more words left in my head.


Sue xx



22 comments:

  1. Well done Sue - you are nearly there. I am surprised how much rice you have left in that photograph. I am thinking the last two days must have several rice-based meals? Maeve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems an unusually large amount of rice left doesn't it. Perhaps that explains why my flour and lentils supplies have gone down first!

      Delete
  2. The lack of quantity and quality of food is impacting, isn't it? And then some wonder why refugees don't just pick themselves up and make a new life for themselves. They don't because they can't. Malnourishment affects both body and brain.
    Take care - and those burgers do look good. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, anyone that suggests that refugees should pull themselves together and get on with new lives needs to eat this way for a month and then see what ideas they can come up with for themselves. The burgers were very tasty.

      Delete
  3. You're doing so incredibly well, Sue - I had to laugh at the vision of you chucking that ice lolly out to melt! I don't think I'd like spicy rice and dahl for my breakfast - but the very point is that refugees wouldn't get the choice, would they? They'd just have to eat whatever they have. A sobering thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been quite a nice change having rice and dahl for breakfast ... but the novelty has worn off now, so a slice of buttered toast would be heaven, accompanied by a couple of cups of coffee of course :-)

      Delete
  4. Good on you - I definitely couldn't cope with this amount of frugalness and lack of variety. The burgers look good and I should imagine pretty filling. Would you choose spring onions again do you think? Did they hit the spot for flavouring everything?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The burgers were very filling. The spring onions have been brilliant, both for the flavour and the colour. A bit of green on a meal makes it look a lot more appealing doesn't it.

      Delete
  5. Don't worry about running out of words, after all "actions speak louder than words " and your actions are truly amazing ! I would say " keep your pecker up " but in my naivety it wasn't until I was in my 50's that I found out what a pecker is ( and I have 3 children, how did that happen ? ) so I can't but the sentiment is the same, not long to go then that lolly is yours and enjoy. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A nice comment and one that made me laugh as well, oh you are so innocent ... or rather you were ;-)

      Delete
  6. I wonder how much effect this is having on your health? Do take care, as it's easy to feel faint or dizzy on such a restricted diet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have felt a bit woozy on occasions, but staying at home is keeping me safe. The only time I've been out is in the mornings straight after breakfast with the dogs, which is when I feel my best.

      Delete
  7. Oh, Sue, it must be so very hard to complete this challenge. By now you must be sick to death of rice and dahl, no wonder refugees find it hard to pick themselves up and carry on. Not long to go now. You are doing brilliantly and the donation total is amazing. Sending you strength to carry on x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, a bucket full of strength ... or coffee ... would be lovely :-)

      Delete
  8. You certainly are being affected by this diet as your body craves more for energy. No wonder you are so tired and sleeping more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan was back home for one night last night and I managed to get a completely undisturbed eight hours sleep which was brilliant.

      Delete
  9. You did talk about "carb brain" and the effect that this diet has on you at the halfway point. And you only have a couple more days before you can tuck into fresh veg and loads of salads, refugees do not. This really does demonstrate what the long-term effect is going to be on people who have no choice.
    I'd love to see Johnson, Patel and Sunak do this and get through a whole week but I doubt any of them have the courage to even try..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh the chances of them doing this are invisible!! I have definintely been making A LOT of mistakes trying to get blogs posts out each evening. It's killing me ... a slight exaggeration I know!!

      Delete
  10. Not long to go now Sue - think of the first huge cup of coffee you'll be able to have soon and perhaps a sweet treat to go with it
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh coffee, whenever I want it, what a luxury that will be for about a week and then once again I will be used to it again. We take so much for granted don't we.

      Delete
  11. You are doing wonderfully. I don't doubt that your brain is getting or has gotten a bit fuzzy. Not much longer. I need to tell you that you are one of my hero's.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brain feels like one big fuzz ball. Aww, that is lovely, thank you so much. xx

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.