Thursday 16 June 2022

My Menu is Finalised for Ration Challenge Week

 


It is now just a few days before the 2022 Ration Challenge starts.  

From first thing this coming Sunday morning until I wake up on the following Sunday I will be eating just the contents of my ration box, the additional things that we had to add to it (flour, more rice and oil) and the rewards that I have left after giving most of them away ... spices, salt and a bunch of spring onions.

I decided the other day to sit down and plan out exactly what I would be eating.  Some people just wing it and when in doubt have a bowl of plain rice.  But for me it is pretty important to spread the foods and flavours out over the whole week and use up as much as what we have been given as possible.  When the average calorie count for the challenge foods is just 1738 per day if you use all of the food, I do think it's important to try to use as much of it as you can.


I did a rough draft first, rubbing out and re-writing where necessary ...


.... and then filled in my Ration Challenge Meal Plan.

Sorry for the shadow on the photo, it's hard to get a clear shot on a sunny day when the only window in your kitchen is a skylight.  😄



I was asked if I would share my Unboxing Video again for those that missed it, so I'm happy to oblige.  Here it is just for you.

And  my Fundraising Page is here - https://www.rationchallenge.org.uk/sue-hall
I am just a whisker away from my final target.

A huge THANK YOU to those of you who have already been so generous with your donations.  I am looking forward to sharing photos of my foods over the course of next week with you all ... and hopefully not too much whinging about things.



Sue xx




12 comments:

  1. I think meal planning is vital - it will help you to eat more mindfully

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is if I want the flavourful items to last throughout the week. You're completely right ... the whole thing is making me so mindful.

      Delete
  2. I have a body analyser scale set. The last thing it tells you is the calories needed to maintain your current weight. For me it is usually around 1500, so to lose weight I need to work to less than that. Over 1700 with our, generally sedentary, western lifestyle, would see me steadily putting on weight. If I was doing physically challenging work it would be a different story and 1700 would be just about comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I too eat less than that amount, especially since we don't have the smallholding and almost all physical work has completely stopped after my back injuries. I will weigh myself at the beginning and end to see if I lose anything but I really don't think I will. I eat this sort of food anyway so my way of eating isn't drastically changing at all.

      Delete
  3. Seeing your meal plan all laid out is very sobering. I have just finished my shopping list for Aldi, what a world apart from those refugees , I will get in the car, be driven there, choose our food, bring it home, eat it over the next few days, and repeat, something that I would never stop to think what I was doing, but today, goodness, boy do I feel lucky but also sad that the human race can treat each other in a way that causes these poor people to live this way. If I had a hat I would take it off to you, it's an amazing thing that you are doing. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would doff my cap at you too, you do amazingly well. Our choices are almost embarrassing aren't they ... maybe not 'almost' at all. I know for a fact that I am going to be simplifying my eating habits completely after this Challenge. I'm almost seeing this as a reset button.

      Thank you for all your support. xx

      Delete
  4. Whinge away - I think you are amazing. I'm so looking forward to your posts. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ... you wouldn't say that if you heard me whinging!! Although I don't think I'm as bad as Mike Jeavons the YouTuber who whinged his way through the entire week the same year that I did it last!! ;-)

      Delete
  5. I think you are amazing too and even more so when I see your menu plan and compare it to mine. It is indeed sobering, Sue, especially when most of my food for the week has been free with loyalty points. We are so very lucky. I'm going to nip over and donate a bit more money from our savings this week to your challenge total. I could never do the challenge myself so it's the only way I can help. I will be following your progress avidly. Best of luck my lovely 😍 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did brilliant with your loyalty points, it was a good post to read. We really are lucky to be living the lives we are living in the place we are living them aren't we. Choice is precious ... and we have so much of it. Thank you for all your support. xx

      Delete
  6. I agree, meal planning is vital. After all you want to use up all you can, and get the best nutrition possible. Good luck and I know you will be doing very well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jackie, and thank you for your ongoing support. xx

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.