Tuesday 2 April 2019

Hiding the Clutter


I hate clutter, it sets my teeth on edge, but some things you just need to have around.  The coffee table in the Van has been driving me mad, the one back in Wales does too but I can't see that at the moment, so for now I've been pondering over what to do with this one.


Then the other day in Dunelm I spotted these foldable cubes.

I've seen them in other places previously but usually much more expensive.  So I thought for that price it was worth trying them as a coffee table alternative.


Once they were unwrapped and quickly popped into shape, I took all the stuff off the top and off the lower shelf of the table and put it into one of the cubes, and for now left the other one empty.


The beauty of these is that they can sit together, or if we have anyone round for coffee we can move them individually to where they are needed.  And of course if one is empty it can be folded flat again and left in the cupboard giving me more free floor space.

For now the old coffee table is on one of the spare beds while we see how this works out.  But if it's not needed it will be car booted.


Sue xx





14 comments:

  1. What a brilliant idea!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely much more pleasing to look at.

      Delete
  2. I like that solution - my cat would scratch them though (why do they do that when there are trees to scratch?). Just a thought, did the coffee table come with the van and match the other items of furniture? If so should you store it away in case you sell the van at a later date?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Years ago I would have done just that but not now ... this van is ours to do with as we wish, and change to suit how we use it. I am already in the process of changing other things out, cupboards, table etc, so soon everything won't match the original van anyway.

      If we do come to sell the van for any reason it will be sold as it is ... not as it was.

      Delete
  3. I really like the look of those as a coffee table - are they freely available everywhere?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should imagine they are at most branches of Dunelm. There was a huge new display of them, and in other colours too ... cream, royal blue and black leather effect.

      Delete
  4. That is a great solution! I've seen coffee table/footrest/storage container units but they can not be folded up when not needed. You have the best combination!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the cubes - they look great and that is brilliant for storage! Annster's Domain

    ReplyDelete
  6. We did exactly the same in the motorhome about two months ago. The other problem we (well I have) is that I cannot 'lounge' but by using a large box I can store some crafty things and paperwork that don't get used that often, and I can rest my legs on it when we watch a film! It was more expensive, but is probably nearly as big as your two cubes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the cubes! They do have some good things in Dunelm and mostly reasonably priced too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A friend of mine uses those cubes to store things in as well. You really got them for a very good price.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That seems a wonderful alternative to a bulkier bit of furniture and visible clutter. I hope it works for you.. My old coffee table made my front room an obstacle course when I got my wheelchair, so it went and I've not missed it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I get this absolutely. Fed up with the coffee table always having 'stuff' on it, I was adamant that the next one must have drawers. I love it hay we now only have a decorative dish and sometimes a small bowl of flowers on it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.