Friday 13 November 2020

Just Food Talk

I've been shopping for food just once since I moved to the flat, which seems strange considering the only places that are open are food shops.  But I've just not needed to go, and have been happy with dog walks to get me the fresh air that we all need at the moment during this month long second lockdown.

So I've been slowly and surely eating my way through the food I already have in and have had some pretty tasty meals if I'm honest.  I always find I am more inventive and enjoy cooking more when I have to actually think about what I have and how it can be used.  Hence my Challenging Myself blog keep me occupied so many times this year.

But it's not all been gourmet eating, tasty but not gourmet!!  

These 'Fishless Fingers' from Aldi were lifted from the little freezer the other day and were a revelation.  They are so tasty.  I had half the bag for lunch one day on a part-baked baguette as I had no other bread left in the house.  With just mayo and a sprinkle of salt and a couple of cherry tomatoes on the plate it made for a delicious lunch, so much so that I had an action replay for my tea the next day.

Someone asked what I made with these leftovers from the other day ... oops I forgot to post about them, although I'm sure you can guess what I did.


I made up some pastry, just 4oz flour and half as much spread.


After resting it in the fridge for half an hour it was rolled out ...


... and the nicely mashed, mixed and compressed leftovers were plonked in the middle, with the pastry drawn up all around so that there was no wastage.


A simple little pie, that just needed some Bisto, but I've still not bought any so I had a dollop of mayo and it was just as tasty.


Lovely and full right to the edges and not a soggy bottom in sight.

My electric fan oven at the flat is proving to be a very good oven now that it's nice and clean.  I'm just not used to things cooking so quickly.  It's a good job Alexa keeps the time for me or everything would be burnt to a crisp

Sue xx


15 comments:

  1. I like the quorn fishless fingers, I imagine the Aldi version are a lot cheaper, made into a buttie is delicious comfort food. Have you ever used oil to make pastry, if so how was it, I keep meaning to try it. I too like the challenge of "something out of nothing " meals, we have just bought a few copies of Jack Monroe's Tin can cook for the food bank ,looking through ,there are some interesting inventions,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did like the Quorn ones until I tasted these, they are ten times better and very 'fish-like' without the overpowering taste of the breadcrumbs.

      Yes, I made pastry with oil during the Ration Challenge week and it was gorgeous. Make it the same way as making pastry with fat, half as much oil to flour, a smidge of salt and then add the water carefully. It makes a fragile, very short pastry which tastes amazing.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, I now know what I am making tomorrow !

      Delete
  2. I love being inventive with leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very clever and it looks delicious.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love what you made with your leftovers. The pie looks very tasty.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it. The main flavour was from the buttery mash with surprise flashes of sage and onion stuffing and sausage.

      Delete
  5. You can't beat fish(less) fingers. Even Nigella made a posh meal from them the other day. You've made me want pastry seeing your lovely pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that, I was amazed when she started mashing up fish fingers!!

      Delete
  6. I missed those fishless fingers, might try them. I got the four vegetable burgers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fish fingers are delicious and the sausage rolls. I think I still have the vegetable burgers in the freezer, I've not tried them yet

      Delete
  7. One of the things that I like best about not working is rediscovering just how much I like cooking now that I have the time to do it mindfully. I experiment with new recipes nearly every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice when there's no rush to prepare a meal and no voices asking 'what's for tea?' isn't it 😄

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.