Thursday 5 November 2020

Smiley Ovens ... and Musings

 


My oven is smiling and quite rightly too, after being abandoned by the previous tenants of this flat and left in the most obnoxious state it has now been transformed to how it must have looked inside when it was new.


I mean it was just YUK!!  I shared these photos with the owner of the flat and the letting agency as they hadn't been included in the inventory.  My first thought being 'I'm not being blamed for a disgusting mess like this'.


Who leaves a cooker in this state - quite possibly someone who didn't want their deposit back and just couldn't be bothered to clean as they went along.

I got in touch with a local chap that advertised an oven cleaning service, and on Tuesday afternoon he came with his van full of dipping tanks and equipment, and while the oven walls, shelves and trays were all soaking he spent over an hour scraping and scrubbing away at the rest of the oven.


Two hours later and it was all reassembled and sparkling clean.


And now I can cook in the oven again  😃

This morning I woke in a fug of 'can't be bothered, woe is me' and thought to myself I'm just going to drag on yesterdays clothes and go and watch some television today, but after a cup of coffee and an hour of  watching TikTok on my phone I forced myself out of bed and into a hot shower.  

It worked a treat to revive me, and less than an hour later me and Suky headed out for a longer than usual doggy walk.  Along the river, through the town and up the lane to the old ruined castle.  I didn't turn for home until I could see that her little legs were getting tired.


As she mooched around in the long grass sniffing at new smells I took in the beauty all around me, I touched a beautiful autumnal leaf on a tree and it came off in my hand.  So I brought it home with me. 

 And ... I found a penny.


But my back's fine ... thanks  😆


Sue xx

31 comments:

  1. Lol. I always say that rhyme when I find any money. Find a penny pick it up all day you'll have good luck, pass it on to someone else they will have good luck as well. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love finding pennies when I'm out and about, makes me smile every time 😃

      Delete
  2. Hope you didn't have to pay for the oven to be cleaned Sue ! Don't faint as I'm actually commenting on here not via fb . Take care and stay safe xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woohoo ... you're here 😉. Yes, I did pay, it's not a problem I can afford it 🙂

      Delete
  3. Cleaner and a lot more healthy. Some people are just disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never jump right into the shower from bed, in the morning. I always have a cup of coffee first. In fact, I'm waiting for the furnace man, as I type this, with yesterday's clothes put back on. I don't know why I bothered to remove them last night... because I didn't sleep a wink. Sometimes "life" is enough to get us down, isn't it. Nothing that a nice walk can't cure tho. :-) ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shower and the fresh air worked a treat, it was a good day in the end, topped off with firework watching with Suky, rather unusually she loves fireworks 😃

      Delete
  5. Yuck but what a transformation.

    I once knew where a 50p piece was stuck in the tar in the middle of a busy road, we were very hard up but I couldn't think of a way of getting it without risking being run over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh that would have annoyed me every time I passed it, especially if I had really needed it ☹️

      Delete
  6. Your oven cleaner certainly knew what he was doing. Wow! As for luck, we could all use some of that. Have a good evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was very thorough, and didn't even stop to drink his cup of tea, just took a slurp every now and then 🙂

      Delete
  7. I love cooking, so my oven gets a lot of work, but the one thing I hate is the cleaning of it, it’s my only “ treat” , but I always pay someone to clean it , they do a far better job than I would . At least you can now cook in it over the winter Sue, your flat is looking nice and homely now .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you at all. I'll just keep on top of this now it's nice and clean, I don't cook the sort of food that makes a mess.

      Delete
  8. Your long walk sounds wonderful, bet Suky enjoyed it too. I'm not keen on autumn, except for the lovely tree colours. Thank you for your comments on my blog, they make me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Autumn is my favourite season, closely followed by Spring. ♥️

      Delete
  9. I'm glad you got the oven cleaned you would have probably smoked out the flat. It is a drawback when an oven is a grill to, the element gets greasy. Sometimes you need that hour in bed to chill before getting up. Beautiful leaf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, when he heated the oven up before cleaning the elements it stank to high heaven, I can only imagine how bad it would have been if I had tried to cook in it 🥴☹️

      Delete
  10. What a difference. No wonder the oven is smiling!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never noticed it's happy face until it was sparkly clean 😃

      Delete
  11. He made a good job of the oven, it looks sparkling. I hate cleaning ovens, so I don't use mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ... I don't blame you. It's so much easier to wipe down the hob. But I do like roasted veggies, chips, pies and pasties so I needed the oven.

      Delete
  12. I loathe cleaning ovens and usually pay a man to do it for me. Working as a cleaner it's the one job I say I don't do when I meet potential clients [obviously I do the oven top]! Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely treat to have an expert do a really good job isn't it 😃

      Delete
  13. Oven is looking lovely,I too hope you didn't have to pay for that.
    I don't clean my oven .......as I don't use it any more now that I have an Airfryer, which just needs a wipe over and basket into dishwasher 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did pay, but I can afford it. It has already been in use each day so it's money well spent. Airfryers are really popular now aren't they, but I don't have one, or the counter space for one, ydo I'll stick with my oven for now.

      Delete
  14. Great on the oven cleaner. Good man. Are you taking any meals out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are in lockdown, so all restaurants, cafes and pubs are closed ☹️

      Delete
  15. Most of the time I don’t make comments on websites, but I'd like to say that this article really forced me to do so. Really nice post!

    Oven cleaner near me

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a transformation of the oven, Sue. I hate cleaning ovens but I do wipe down every time I use it and rarely cook meat in it so it stays pretty clean. If I do cook meat or fish for G I wrap it in foil first ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, sparkling clean oven. I hate cleaning ovens but I do force (and I mean force) myself to do so.

    Love the leaf. We don't have pennies in my country any longer and I miss them.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.