Monday 2 November 2020

The River Wyre in Garstang


I'm trying to get little Suky into a bit of a routine, although she's a really laid back little dog, she has found this move confusing.   Perhaps it's partly to do with her age but also I think she has had far too many 'homes' to learn the meaning of.

We used to call the Welsh house 'home', the Van was 'CARAvan', which both dogs recognise if you put the emphasis on the cara part.  She knows 'Granny's House', the 'bone shop' ... this is the pet shop rather than the butchers 😄 ... and of course all the obvious doggy words, like sit, stay and wait.  Her favourite phrase is 'do you want dinner?' and she will do anything you ask if you say those magic words 'do you want one?' which is code for any sort of doggy delicacy or treat heading in the dogs direction.

So each morning at the moment to try and set up this routine we do the riverside walk, taking the tarmacked path along the riverside towards the carpark at the end of town.  We pass the same elderly jogger, the lady with two black spaniels, a few terriers and their people and occasionally an elderly lady with her walker.  We all say good morning except the jogger who usually just gasps a smile in my direction.  

Eventually if we ignore all the little side paths that try to tempt you through and back onto the High Street, it brings us out here at this picturesque bend in the river.  Usually when the water is flowing lower there is a dry pebbly beach area that the ducks and sometimes children congregate on but for the past few days that has all but vanished.  Here I often stand and look, listening to the flow of the water as it changes direction and relax for a few moments before walking through the car park and back through town to home.

It's a good start to the day.


And here is where it begins.


Sue xx

19 comments:

  1. So suprised to see a photo that I can place. I had just phoned my friend to see if we should brave the elements for a Dog Walk there and coffee at The Cobblers Den afterwards. It gets a bit muddy so we said leave it til Tuedsay! Lesley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is VERY muddy today, the trees and the pampas grass are now all IN the river and only the footpath is above water in most places. Cobblers IS open for now though. :-)

      Delete
  2. It says the video is unavailable as it is private. Shame.
    That is a lovely view of the riverside.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops sorry ... I've amended it now. I keep most of my YouTube clips private.

      Delete
  3. Sorry I cannot see your video, sounds like a wonderful walk and doggie routine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've amended it now, sorry.

      Delete
    2. Thank you. It is a lovely spot to walk from and I can see why you like it.

      Delete
  4. And they have provided a handy bench on which to contemplate the world .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've sat there many times in the past. It used to be Bella's favourite place to watch the world go by while she hid in my coat.

      Delete
  5. Looks like it is a lovely place for walking Suky...and contemplating life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sue. I should have recognised that you were in Garstang! I walk along that path quite regularly when I come to Garstang to get my haircut. My best friend also lives there and my brother had a caravan at Bilsborough so I know and love the area. I am sure you will be very happy there and lots of charity shops for you to browse!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks very green and the water quite fast running. What a very pleasant start to the day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your post has taken me back 40 years. We lived nearby in Longridge and with two under fives I occasionally shopped in Garstang for a change! I also came across for the patchwork shows, such lovely quilts. One of our favourite walks with the children was Nicky Nook at Scorton. Down in Cornwall now but have been following your blog since before you moved to Wales. Enjoy living in town.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely place to walk! I think our pets do better and feel more secure when they have a regular routine as you are setting up for Suky. Once you have settled in your new home and have that new routine established, I bet she will be fine. The most important thing is she has her dear Mum with her!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Let me try again. I love watching you choose the things to make your home. You are also choosing the things to make a life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for sharing Sue:) It's such a beautiful area♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. Suky will be used to her new home in no time.

    Lovely walk thanks for sharing it with all of us.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.