Monday 23 November 2020

My Tiniest Garden Yet



So this is my tiniest garden yet.

It's a little bit of colour on an otherwise drab bit of tarmac outside the door to my flat.   You all know me, I couldn't have nothing at all ... I need at least a pot and my own patch of soil.


And who knows I might even get the chance to sit on the bench one day next to it, although at the moment I would need a waterproof cushion.  But I'm happy enough seeing it every time I approach the front door after a doggy walk or pull up in the car.


I was chatting to one of the volunteers gardeners that work around the town a few days after I moved in and I asked him if all the herbs in the bed he was weeding were allowed to be picked by people in the town, he didn't know.  

In fact he didn't know what most of them were and as he was interested I listed them for him, I mentioned that it was the huge Rosemary bush that I was interested in as all my cuttings from the Van had failed.  He turned round and cut me three small branches off and said with a wink ... 'I was just about to prune that one anyway'.

They have been on my windowsill until this morning sat in a pot of water.


This was the roots last week and by this morning they were all twice as long, so taking two of the pots that my little pink Primroses came in I re-potted them.


I'll see how well they do now, and once I move they will go outside to grow in my new yard ... which will once again be a bit bigger than my current little tin-bath flowerbed.


Sue xx


27 comments:

  1. This post brought me joy this morning, Sue. What a nice interaction you had with the gardener! ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a nice little chat, there's not that many people around to talk to at the moment 🤣

      Delete
  2. What a nice man, though it amazes me that so called gardeners have no idea about plants, at least this one was willing to learn. I cut rosemary and other herbs for vases to make the house smell nice, they usually root. I am currently trying to take cuttings of hydrangea and oleander, it’s probably the wrong time of year but nothing ventured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said he was a volunteer. The townspeople take care of little patches and gardens all over the town and sling the river and canal. Perhaps he just hadn't done this particular bed before.

      Delete
  3. I believe rosemary roots easily and continues to grow very well. I like to use some in my Christmas wreath, it smells amazing.
    Your planter looks lovely. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, but my last big bunch of cuttings were taken from a very old bush back in Wales and didn't throw off any roots.

      Delete
  4. I haven't got any rosemary so I'm going to pinch a bit off the next plant I see. Your cuttings look very healthy and your little garden is pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's enough for now, I'll get back to growing more in Spring 😃

      Delete
  5. My my your herb gift has taken and going with flying colors. Nice of him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was very nice of him, they started rooting within days.

      Delete
  6. What a nice story, a little bit of kindness goes a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I downsized to a smaller life too and like you need to have some soil and plants. I have a patio with a small area around it. I would have liked to bring plants with me but there was no opportunity. I did bring some pots and two three tiered herb pots so now do have herbs. Your little garden is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It only needs a few pots and perhaps a little tree to feel like a little green space of your own doesn't it 😃

      Delete
  8. I love your planter by the door. It is welcoming to come home to something like that! What a nice man to give you some of the Rosemary and it was equally nice of you to name the herbs for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just think someone used to have a bath or do their washing in my little garden pot too 😄. I love old tin baths 💖

      Delete
  9. How cute is your "tiny" garden:) What a kind act from a lovely chap♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's enough to keep me happy for now. I'm planning a little raised flower/vegetable bed for my new home already. 😃

      Delete
  10. It was nice of you to help further that gentleman's knowledge. I love your tiny garden and I hope the Rosemary does well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We gardeners are always happy to help each other out. I'll keep the Rosemary indoors over Winter ... fingers crossed she survives. 🤞

      Delete
  11. How nice to get those little snips of rosemary. I think it was his way of saying thank you for the knowledge you shared with him.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are certainly 'blooming where you are planted'! Your planter is a sweet touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just needed something green and a little colourful, it will keep me happy for now 😃

      Delete
  13. What a heart warming story - thanks. What a very pleasant man.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was lovely, it's a very friendly town 😃

      Delete
  14. I love your tiny garden, I'd have to have some greenery, too. What a lovely kind gesture of that chap to give you a few sprigs of rosemary. It's said that it flourishes in the garden of a strong woman - ours is like a tree! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.