Saturday 12 December 2020

Measure Twice ...

 


You've heard that old saying 'measure twice cut once' haven't you, well I've just invented a new one for me ... 'check measurements woman, just bloody check!!'.

I bought a gorgeous set of corner shelves off Facebook Marketplace yesterday.  I asked the seller if they could deliver them as I knew anything bigger than an egg cup wouldn't stand a chance in my Fiat 500 and they agreed straight away, they were very local so I wasn't being too cheeky.

Scott and his girlfriend came yesterday lunchtime, him hunched in the driving seat of his Volkswagen something or other, with the back seats down and my new-to-me shelves pressing him forcefully into his steering wheel.  Between them they very kindly carried them in for me, with me social distancing and not helping much at all.  Then they left clutching their money and an extra fiver for delivery that I insisted they take.

It was only when I stood back and fully took in the shelves lying on their side in my hallway, with barely a few inches for me to walk by them that I realised the slight error of my ways.

I dragged them upright and pondered.

I walked around my little flat and took in all the corners, where would they go?


Moving what was originally in this corner out of the way and inching the shelves this way and that from the hall to the living room, I managed to get them into the corner, with just enough of an angle to avoid the radiator.  Pretty good actually I thought, this will do nicely.  

But the waist high, shallow corner shelves that thought I was buying they are most definintely not!!

'Mum ... remember to measure things next time!!'


They are gorgeous and the beautiful rounded back shows they are quite old, but very well looked after and renovated.   I'm loving them now that they are in-situ and hopefully by hook or by crook I can also fit them into my new even smaller home in a few months time.  If not, well Alan will have a couple of spare bedrooms that they will go in  😃


I'm also loving this bauble shaped Christmas plate that I picked up from the Sue Ryder charity shop the other day, it sits neatly on the shelf with my little American pick up truck which was also from there.  The plate was £3 reduced from £5 and the truck that I had hoped to buy for £7.99 before we went into the second lockdown was reduced to £4.99 as soon as they re-opened.  My bargain Christmas new additions for this year ... and they look lovely illuminated by my salt lamp on my new shelves.

Snippets of home.


Sue xx

 





21 comments:

  1. They look lovely and 'homey' and I can quite see why you wanted them. The decorations are a great find too.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rounded back of those shelves is so unusual and I love the bauble shaped plate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've done that a couple of times - realised how bulky a bit of furniture is after I've bought it. It's a pain in the neck! Not fixing the problem promptly Led to years of mild irritation, in my case. When I finally got rid of the first mistake I wished I had done it years before!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, dear, but they are a rather lovely set of shelves. I'm sure we've all done similar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've learned to pay more attention to measurements these days but that wasn't always the case. I've had many "surprises" in my lifetime, as you've had. *lol* I love your new piece of furniture. It's so pretty. ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always remember helping my don in law cut a blind for his bathroom window. I kept asking him was it inches or centimetres he was using as measurement because it didn't seem right to me. He said he'd already checked it and when he offered it up it was 6 inches short. Good job he had a toilet window it would fit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear... I must admit that I can measure a piece up, see it in situ in my minds eye and STILL it looks wrong when I get it home. The shelves are beautiful anyway. I'm sure they will have the perfect place in your next home. Loving the truck and bauble plate too 👌

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really must get myself a salt lamp, they give such a lovely glow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do like the shelves! Are they tongue and groove board around the back? It's a very clever design. Your Christmas truck? I have a Christmas ornament just like it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All looking wonderfully cosy Sue. Love the bargains, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are lovely. Some pieces of furniture just deserve to be found room for. And your new Christmas additions are fab. X

    ReplyDelete
  12. The shelves are gorgeous, might they fit between the window curtains a few feet over...just don't set them tight against the wall. :) fun fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, they wouldn't fit there, and there's no way they could possibly go tight against any wall they have a rounded back!!

      Delete
  13. I like the new piece of furniture. I would have bought it too! 💖

    ReplyDelete
  14. I often chuckle at your posts, this one included. Who hasn't done the same? I want to meet them! I shop Marketplace too and have misremembered the numbers, though I can usually find somewhere good to put it. Of course, there's the table in my garage, and the one in my basement....

    ReplyDelete
  15. I saw an ad on marketplace. They advertised multiple windows and gave the size of them. Except that when Tim got there (we're building a garage) the windows were all different sizes. The woman said, "I don't know how to measure windows." *rolls eyes*

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it and of course seeing Suky makes my day♥ Loving how you made the flat "home" already:) xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. One of our best mates works in a furniture shop and this is his mantra! Never a week goes by when someone has to send back a settee or a sideboard when then realise it won't fit through their front door,
    That's a gorgeous bookcase, I love the curvy shape! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the shelves. After seeing your salt lamp we have just been out and bought one.🙂

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your new shelves are handsome, especially the one with the rounded back, and I like your Christmas truck. A bargain price too.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.