Wednesday 2 December 2020

A Jam a Day ...

 

So, the jam fest that is my Advent Calendar has started.

I'm loving the look of it, it's like having a dolls house full of food on my kitchen worktop.


It's taking up rather a lot of space, but that's fine this is a part of the worktop I don't use too much anyway.


Luckily I hadn't put the sleeve of the box into the recycling bin, because as soon as I opened the first little door yesterday I realised that the labels on the jars are in French.  So I cut out the part I needed and I've slipped it behind the calendar in case I need the translation each day.


I had half of yesterday's jar for my breakfast this morning it's very tasty as you would expect from fruit heavy Bonne Maman jam.  But I'm going to be getting a backlog if I don't eat more than half a jar in one go  luckily up to the now the jars have a Best Before date of June next year.  I have been racking my brains to think of other ways to have the jam apart from on toast.  Up to now I have:

Jam Tarts
Jam Roly Poly
Jam Pinwheels

... I'm not doing very well am I, any suggestions for diddy little jars of jam?

In other news, today we have had the phone interview to arrange a mortgage to buy our house here in Garstang and it's all looking very promising, if scarily expensive.  Our ages mean that we can at the very most get a mortgage of eight years, but of course we will only have it until we can pay it off in full on the sale of the Welsh house.  We have our fingers firmly crossed that it will sell quickly now that it is being marketed through a more knowledgeable local agent, with actual family links to our house.  Of course if it sells before the mortgage is in place and the sale goes through we have no need to worry at all ... and no mortgage to pay.

It's no wonder that I don't play Monopoly very often!!


Sue xx




42 comments:

  1. Nadiya Hussain has a peanut butter and jelly sheetcake pan pancake she does in an 8x8 pan... I've tried to copy the link from that site, but to no avail!...it's under their home & family site...and you have always been so generous with your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for trying but that is a real no for me, although I love them individually I cannot stand peanut butter and jam together.

      Delete
  2. Raspberry jam in a Bakewell tart, but maybe that would only need one and then you would have to eat the Bakewell tart. Not really a hardship I know. I don't really use jam for anything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have to have a go at this, I have never made a vegan Bakewell Tart so I should give it a go. I know Alan would love it for a start.

      Delete
  3. I seen recipes where you melt the jam (or jelly) with chili sauce to make a spicy glaze for meatballs. I cannot remember if you eat meat tho... or if you can use the sauce on a vegan dish...
    That calendar is quite nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I don't eat meat. A jam sauce might work with vegan sausages though 😃

      Delete
  4. I have luck spreading jam on top of raw chicken breasts or thighs, placing those on diced onion (and Cole slaw if we have it) all on top of sliced potatoes. I chuck a little soy sauce on top and bake at 350 degrees for just over an hour. Makes a lovely sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer chickens running around, but I could never catch them to smear them with jam 😄🤣

      Delete
  5. Jam with rice pudding? Bakewell Tarts. Queen of Puddings? Think that has jam in too. Jam tart. Jam sponges - the sort you boil. Victoria Sponge.

    Hoping that the change of Agent will help your house sale. I know some of the parochial ones in our area are not terrifically motivated with sales. Just list it and hope for the best really. We had SUCH a different experience when we changed to the Smallholding Company who have been absolutely brilliant from start to finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like home-made rice pudding and my old favourite tinned version Ambrosia is unfortunately made with cows milk ☹️

      Delete
  6. I love the little pots of Jam. Wishing you all the luck in the world for a sale on the welsh property. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I, I have a thing about miniatures 😃

      Delete
  7. Vous ne parlez vous Francais?

    (thats probably all wrong. I failed French O level!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Non parlez quite enough unfortunately 🤣🤣

      Delete
  8. Jam with porridge or Yorkshire puddings is lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think porridge will be an option. I've been fancying it just recently. 😀

      Delete
  9. Bread and jam pudding , instead of bread and butter it's a favourite around here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only ever liked the crispy edges of bread and butter ... or jam ... puddings. I've never made one without eggs though. Now there's a challenge!!

      Delete
  10. Peanut butter and jam is a favorite here. Best of luck with the house sake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noooo ... not together. Individually yes, together no 🤣🤣

      Delete
  11. What a delightful advent calendar. Delicious jam too,,

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope there is the dulce de leche in the calendar. It's yummy. I bought six jars when it arrived here because once it's sold out it's not restocked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope there isn't, I think it's made with cream isn't it ... I wouldn't be able to eat it ☹️

      Delete
  13. Stirred into rice pudding, porridge, yogurt.
    What a fantastic advent calendar. Wonderful.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to buy some yoghurt 😃

      Delete
    2. Sue, have you tried the Oatly yogurt? It comes in plain and in Greek style. I'm enjoying it. It's nice with a wee dod of jam 😋

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Yes, I do think I'll have to make some scones 😀

      Delete
  15. Oh yes, jam and yoghurt 😃

    ReplyDelete
  16. You could use some jam when Alan is down by melting it and using it as a sauce for meat. I have made plum sauce out of plum jam.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't cook meat in my oven. This is a Meat Free Zone 💖

      Delete
  17. I love your advent calendar! How sweet! Lol.

    Might I suggest poppers. Quick. Easy delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Replies
    1. Ooh, like Jam Turnovers? Triangular pasties full of jam?

      Delete
  19. Scones with jam and cheese or even with tapioca pudding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scones most definitely, Frogspawn (as we used to call Tapioca at school) possibly not 🤣🤣

      Delete
  20. Jam tarts, Victoria sponge, scones, jam on porridge, on pancakes, on yogurt, as a glaze on apple tart. Lovely advent calendar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was thinking of using one as a glaze on a fruit tart 😃

      Delete
  21. THANK YOU FOR ALL THESE GREAT SUGGESTIONS 💖

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.