Friday 24 April 2020

Mum, These Are My Birthday Presents


My lovely Mum sent me a cheque for my birthday and at first I was racking my brains to think of something to buy.  I stopped racking and just got on with things.  Then the other day while I was making some pies and as usual cutting out the circles I needed for bottoms and tops with the lid of my cookie cutter set and then having to roll them out bigger anyway as no cutter was big enough ... it came to me ... I needed a larger cutter!!

A true extravagance as I know I could have continued to do it 'my way' but what is your birthday money if not for extravangances.  So I Googled large pastry cutters and one of the options that came up was for Lakeland, one of my favourite companies anyway.

I was on the website in a flash and while I was on there I stocked up with some more of their dishclothes, they really are the best, some rubber gloves and I always, always, always order some of the liquorice when I place an order ... it's delicious.  Needing to slightly bump up the order to avoid paying postage I added four tins of marmalade making mix, oh and a packet of freezer labels to stop me from writing on all my tubs and freezer bags with permanent marker!!

And then yesterday my parcel of birthday goodies arrived.


Included in the parcel was this note.  I loved the wording of it, they really are and always have been a company that cares for its customers and its workers.  I know that from inside knowledge as two memvbers of my family worked there for years.


The main reason for my order.



How satisfying are they!!


And how satisfying was this 🤣

I couldn't stop playing!!


Every size cutter I could possibly ever need 😃



After reading  the packaging I gave all the cutters a quick wash and left them to quickly dry on the top of the Aga, it takes minutes on there as it's so hot.  The only thing I was dreading was getting them all back in their tin in size order.

I am brilliant at telling you if a picture or shelf is straight or central to within a millimetre ... but me and shapes within shapes do not compute.  I used to dread my boys going to bed when they were small and leaving all their shape sorting toys out ... it used to take me ages to get it right.  Square in square yes, circle in circle yes, hexagon ... forget it lob it in the toy box and go a make a coffee.  🤣

And I've just had an email to say that the rest of my birthday present is arriving today ... Yay!  This one is from somewhere totally different.


Sue xx


23 comments:

  1. Oh, fantastic. Lakeland is just about my favourite place and we're lucky to have a shop in town (closed right now). The cutters are, indeed, very satisfying!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to visit the Windermere branch, the original home of 'Lakeland Plastics' regularly as I managed a shop in Bowness and it was just up the road. Now we make a trip out from the Van once or twice a year for a nice lunch in their restaurant and to pick up kitchen supplies.

      Delete
  2. Oh yes I love Lakeland too, there's one in Taunton that we don't get to very often, simply because I'm not very keen on Taunton. We've been in a few on holidays, I do like browsing in there. Good luck with getting all the cutters back in order in their tin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did it ... but dare I take them out again, haha!

      Delete
  3. Brilliant birthday gift. I love those labels, they stay stuck on in the freezer. My daughter keeps telling me how good those gloves are. And the Marmalade will set you up for the year. The concentric circular cutters just blow my mind! Enjoy them all (I'm not much of a liquorice eater myself)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gloves are great, they last so well. I use them for washing up until they start to go a bit stiff, usually after around 6-9 months and then I have them outside in the polytunnel for those messy gardening jobs that need waterproof gloves.

      Delete
  4. i'm quite envious of those cutters ! have fun using them x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ... I think everything will be round with crinkly edges from now on ... lol :-)

      Delete
  5. What a great birthday gift to oneself. All extremely useful. Love the cutters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I, I was just pleased to be able to get some treats and some useful things with Mum's money. Far better than it just disappearing into my purse.

      Delete
  6. And hopefully you will tell us about today's present when it arrives. Love the cutters!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love cutters, oh why did you have to show me these, I already have 2 boxes of cutters, including a set of stars like your circles, that I bought some years ago form Lakeland, you can make a Christmas Tree out of the stars biscuits, it looks very good with white icing and silver balls. I'm just going to have a look on Lakeland as I have some vouchers, I may be some time. Helen S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your browsing ... be warned though, temptation is great at the moment ;-)

      Delete
  8. Lovely gifts from your lovely mum, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just what I needed :-)

      Delete
    2. I love kitchen stuff, sad act that I am. Other women go wild in a handbag department, me, I have to be kept away from the cookware for fear of bankrupting myself.

      Delete
  9. What a wonderful (and useful) parcel. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, I had great fun spending my birthday money this year 😄

      Delete
  10. I have a thing about circles. Either arranged in straight lines, of overlapping, or circles within circles. Those cutters would make great templates for embroidery.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.