Wednesday 7 December 2022

Blogmas Day Seven - Kohlrabi, Sweets and Tiny Trees


Today's seed Advent calendar offering is a pack of Kohlrabi seeds and is seen in this photo with a bag of my favourite sweets just purchased from Booth's, and today little pot of jam.  I didn't grow this particular vegetable until we moved to Wales and then I really discovered it. 

 It grew so well in the polytunnel.  It's in the bed on the left nearest the camera, in this instance it's green kohlrabi, and it was delicious and was regularly snacked on while I worked in the polytunnel.

I keep forgetting to share what I'm getting out of last year's Advent calendar, which was filled with little bits and bobs of my Christmas decorations when I packed them all away last year.  But I have been emptying one drawer a day and hanging things on the tree or dotting little lengths of tinsel here, there and everywhere.  Bit by bit it's getting more and more festive around the lodge.

Today's little drawer contained half a dozen little gold baubles which are now dangling on the tree and barely visible as last year they were on the tiniest of tiny trees.


This little tree now lives in the garden, and I didn't have the heart to dig her up, so this year my bigger artificial tree is sporting the decorations as they appear from the Advent calendar.


Sue xx


19 comments:

  1. I had forgotten what a place of absolute beauty (and bounty) your polytunnel was.

    I still hanker after a space like that, and could probably do it here if I moved a couple of things around, but being realistic I know it won't happen now. Do you ever miss elements of your previous life?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely, especially AFTER I had finished working in there for hours and then hosed everywhere down. I miss the views, my swing, the chickens and living so close to the sea.

      Delete
  2. I have to say I would miss that polytunnel. So organized. I have a small dark green polytunnel, permanently anchored in the top of the orchard, but carrying water up to it is a bit of a PITA.

    Christmas is getting closer - really must find some decorations from the attic and start dotting them about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss being cosy in it on a wet Spring morning, working away with the sound of the Welsh rain on the polythene. You really MUST get the decorations sorted!!

      Delete
  3. What a great idea to reuse an advent calendar with decorations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's working brilliantly I really don't know what to expect each day, and the tree is looking a smidge better every day. :-)

      Delete
  4. I planted kohlrabi this year but the crop failed completely. I will persevere. I like the Advent Calendar Re-use idea. Weput the tree up yesterday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I remember rightly, I struggled the first year as it's not the easiest crop to grow, but once you get it right it's worth all the perseverance as it's delicious. It's starting to feel very festive isn't it.

      Delete
  5. I rather fancy getting a reusable calendar myself. Iut seems very sensible and better value, apart from flexible. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now might be a good time to buy one that could be on special offer, you could quickly catch up with the days of this December and then save it for use next year.

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed seeing the polytunnel again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a bit of a blast from the past isn't it. :-)

      Delete
  7. I've never grown or eaten kohlrabi - looks fascinating.
    I love seeing all the decorations going up - hoping ours will be finished this weekend
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very tasty and refreshing, both in salads and cooked in stir fries. It's starting to look and feel very festive everywhere isn't it.

      Delete
  8. I don't know what to do with kohlrabi 🤔 it sounds like you ate some raw? It was lovely seeing your polytunnel again. I can imagine pottering in there on a cold wet day, Sue, little wonder that you miss it sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ate a LOT of it raw, both thinly sliced while I worked in the tunnel and finely chopped in coleslaws ... it makes AMAZING coleslaw as it stays nice and crunchy. We also ate it in stir fries. I don't miss it enough to ever go back!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for that, Sue, we might give it a go at the allotment next year.

      Delete
  9. That polythene is a thing of beauty! I have never tried kohlrabi, maybe it's time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my happy place for a long time. Now is the time to try kohlrabi as it's in season at the moment, I don't think it's available much in shops though unfortunately.

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.