Friday 23 December 2022

Blogmas Day Twenty Three - China, Hampers and George


Day twenty three already, today I got another jam and a packet of Dwarf French Beans.  They are an unusual pinkish-colour heirloom seed, so they should look really pretty if I can get them to grow up the fence on some netting.  In a garden as small as mine, vertical growing is always a good idea.

From the decorations calendar I got the little china bell that my Aunt Barbara painted many years ago.  She also painted the Robin plaque that you can see in this photo, she did this for my Mum but for some reason my Mum was throwing it out a long time ago so I claimed it for myself.  Barbara used to do a mixture of transfer work and hand-painted and sometimes gilded china.  Over the years her work got better and better but it was an expensive hobby so she started to sell her wares through my shop, with me making a small commission on each piece sold and her getting enough to cover the cost of all her materials to keep her hobby going.


Talking of selling, our hamper from the agency that Alan works through came last week, we used to get a large Fortnum & Mason one, but over the years they downgraded to other not quite so posh hampers.  As usual virtually all of the items in the hamper contained dairy so no good for me to eat, although of course the alcohol will not be a problem 😉

Because of this Alan said that once again I could have the basket.  So I immediately listed last years basket the one you can see in the photo on Facebook marketplace and within twenty four hours it was gone and some more money was added to my sales for 2022 stash.

This years basket is slightly different as it has rope handles.  Once Christmas is over all my decorations will be going into it and it will take it's place on top of my wardrobe in place of the now sold one.


Here's George wishing you a Merry Christmas.

Officially his name is Edward, it says so on his tag, but I always think of him as George for some reason.  Maybe it's because Alan bought him for me many years ago and Alan's middle name is George ... or maybe it's just because he looks like a George. 🧸


Sue xx



10 comments:

  1. He does look like a George!
    That's a good idea, selling the previous year's hampers. I used to be fascinated looking at all the weird stuff in the hampers that were for sale the Littlewoods catalogue in the 1970s. I wonder if anyone ever ate tinned Goblin Irish stew or London Breakfast or if it ended up in the dog's dish on Xmas day? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I used to pore over the contents of the hampers in the Littlewoods and Freemans catalogues back in the early eighties and wish I had the money for them. My ex-husband used to love Goblin Irish Stew and all the other really cheap stews and curries in cans.

      Delete
  2. Definitely a George - he couldn't be anything else.
    The basket sounds lovely and well done for selling the old one and adding to your stash. A hamper always sounded so romantic to me and I used to promise myself that I would indulge in one once I could afford it. I can now, but I non longer want one - they are very costly and I'd prefer to put together my own for an awful lot less.
    Have a great day. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought my sons a large F&M hamper each for them and their partners this year, and the surprise element will come next year when I will give them the equivalent money and tell them to refill the baskets with food and Christmas goodies of their own choosing. It should be quite an eye-opener.

      Delete
  3. George is adorable! I'm sorry you only got the hamper but it will be useful and good job selling the other for your stash of cash. Wishing you a happy Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's been a surprise delivery today, you'll see it on tomorrows post. :-)

      Thank you and a very Happy Christmas to you too.

      Delete
  4. Does anyone remember the very weird whole cooked chicken in a can that were sometimes included in a hamper? Thought of it makes me shudder!
    I love the plaque made by your aunt. All hobbies are expensive things to maintain aren't they ? good for you on the sale of the wicker basket.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A whole cooked chicken in a can ... weird!! I have never heard of that before, wow is the only word that springs to mind! I was glad the basket went to someone who could use it in time to make a lovely gift for her daughter this year.

      Delete
  5. Merry Christmas to you and Alan! Best wishes for peace and joy in the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. All the very best to you too. I hope you have a lovely Christmas and a peaceful New Year.

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.