Saturday 31 December 2022

The Final Betwixtmas of 2022

 

The final day of Betwixtmas and I am using it to take down some of the decorations.

The seed Advent calendar is down and I have found a use for the little bag that was in my recycled from last year decorations calendar ... I knew I saved it for a reason!!  It now contains all those tiny little pegs in case I want to do something with all the envelopes next year.


I like taking the Christmas decorations down bit by bit over the course of a couple of days as it means I can have a good clean up and wipe down of all surfaces before I go back to 'normal'.  Having this new hamper means that I can pack everything away and have Christmas once again stored decoratively on top of my wardrobe.

I really don't like it when people say you should take decorations down on this day or that day.  You should take your decorations down when you want to and when it suits your family traditions or circumstances.  Me, I like to start the New Year with some clean surfaces and a home that looks less cluttered and be well on the way to packing away Christmas until next December.

Two final books managed to sneak in before my book buying stops for next year.  They had been in my Amazon shopping basket for a couple of weeks and I thought, sod it, why not ... so I did.

I have a book I bought a while ago but saved for the New Year on my now freshly cleaned bedside table.  

It's ready for reading a poem a night before I go to sleep, and I need to get the book I started a few weeks ago and then gave up on for Christmas lighter reading off the shelves ... once I have moved all the Christmas cards and twinkly lights from the bookcase.

It's beginning to look a lot less like Christmas here in the Lodge.

I would like to take this opportunity to wish all my readers, commenters, blogging buddies, friends and family all the very best for the coming New Year.  

And if you are able to stay up until midnight tonight have a drink for me.  I've turned into a real lightweight and will most likely be tucked up well before the magic hour.

Here's to a new brighter and hopefully better New Year for us all.


Sue xx



20 comments:

  1. Sue, like you I hope to be fast asleep as the New Year rolls over,I do so agree that “things” should be done to reflect your own needs and wishes - thank you for all your thoughts and observations over the years, wishing you and all your readers a calm and peaceful 2023 living life to our own unique rhythms.
    Country Cook

    ReplyDelete
  2. From another lightweight who also hopes to be sound asleep before midnight, Happy New Year and thank you for your posts - for making me smile, making me think, showing me new things, for sharing yourself so generously. 💚

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've started taking a few things down too but will leave the tree a few days longer as it didn't come in until the 23rd and is so pretty, though the kittens finally found it yesterday so I decided to take the lights off in case they got tangled in them. I have a friend who wouldn't dream of taking anything down before 12th night, and another who has it all put away on Boxing Day. Each to his own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for writing your blog through another year. We'd both better keep going as a bit of normal and upbeat amongst all the gloom, doom and misery!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh please don't stop blogging, either of you, S&S and SinS are two of my favourite blogs which I look forward to each morning! My home is still full of small children and it would be foolish to attempt "packing up Christmas" till they have gone. I too will be under the duvet well before midnight. Happy New Year, my friends!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We took down our decorations yesterday so back to normal here. I covet your mince pie ballerina mouse
    ( mincie mouse ), have you had her long and I wonder if you can still get them .Wishing both you and Alan a Happy New Year too x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought her from Aldi at the start of December, she is one of Kevin the Carrot's friends. Happy New Year Chrissie. xx

      Delete
  7. Good for you, allowing those two books to sneak in. I'm afraid I have done the same with an item I needed (sort of needed) before my low spend, no spend starts tomorrow. Sneaks? Well, maybe but tough!!

    Thank you so much for your posts this year, and your lovely comments too. I look forward to next year's excitements now - happy new year to you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. All my decorations were taken down a few days ago and the cards have been taken down this morning. I feel clean and uncluttered once more. Thank you, Sue, for your lovely cheerful blog and your constant kind comments on mine. Happy New Year to you, Alan and the fur babies. May it be happy and healthy x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year to you, your family, both four legged and two legged and all your readers. May 2023 be happy and healthy for all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Today is the day for starting to take down our decorations, cleaning and tidying as we go. We’ll be in bed at the usual time and be wakened by the many fireworks that will be set off! Happy and healthy 2023 and thanks for your interesting blog. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those books look very interesting. Will have to check them out. Happy New year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so right about being flexible reference taking down the xmas decs, the 12th night thing is irrelevant imho! We will not stay up until midnight either, the dogs will still wake up about 6/6.30 so we need to be tucked up in bed by 10 ish.
    Hoping to see the little mince pie ballerina mouse next December - Happy New Year x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have all mine down right after Christmas. I keep it fairly minimal so it wasn't a big job. I do love clearing out for the new year and add some fresh eucalyptus branches to liven things up. i read her book 'Midnight Chicken', and was very impressed. I've passed it on to the Friends of the Library but I may look this one up as I like her writing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy New Year! Wishing you peace, joy, good health, and fun adventures in 2023!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wishing you a very happy new year, Sue, Alan and the animals! Thank you for sharing your life so generously with us during 2022 and here's to many more thoughtfully written and beautifully photographed blog posts in 2023, visiting you is always a highlight of my day. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. As we celebrated Christmas Eve with family at DD's (and her home was beautifully decorated), I did not bother to put up anything. At. All. Honestly...didn't miss it. Therefore, I have nothing to put away. ;) Not a total bah humbug, but just didn't have it in me. I've been passing on special Christmas items to my adult children over these past few years as they have young children. It seems the best way to let certain traditions carry on as we celebrate in their homes now. As for New Year's Eve, pretty sure I'll be reading in bed by 7pm and asleep well before midnight. Hope that 2023 will be a good year for you, Alan and the fur babies. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wishing you both a Happy New Year. I agree it is nice to start with a clean slate. I look forward to following your adventures over 2023.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am almost done packing Christmas away too. I have been doing a little each day this week, cleaning as I go. I will miss all the glitter and shine, but it's time. The tree stays up until after New Year's, but some years stays longer. Just depends. I will be up at midnight, as I have been since I was 12 and was allowed to be up with the grownups. No TV but books and music will satisfy. Happy New Year, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A very happy new year to you, Alan, your animals and extended family! I have always enjoyed your posts and look forward to them. I wish you good health and many happy and frugal adventures in 2023.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.